Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Just purchased a 1970 351W Mach 1. Been a long time away from classics but glad to be back. My question is around seeing the timing enough to tell where it's at. The visibility is very poor and I'm just wondering if this is a common issue or if there were modifications done to mine that is making it more difficult. The upper water hose and alternator is blocking 98% of the visibility of the timing pointer. Any tips or suggestions?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I used to apply liquid paper in white to the pointer and to the damper at the timing mark i wanted the timing set at, or at 0 when I got a dial advance timing light. Much easier to see the marks when they are highlighted.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I just mark my own when I have a car that either doesnt have one or that you cant see. Set the #1 piston to TDC on the compression stroke and mark the pulley and timing cover with a white-out marker, Of course, this really only gives you 0 degrees, but if you have an adjustable timing light that is all you need.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I used to apply liquid paper in white to the pointer and to the damper at the timing mark i wanted the timing set at, or at 0 when I got a dial advance timing light. Much easier to see the marks when they are highlighted.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Heh, beat me to it

·
Registered
763 Posts
Is that the original engine?? I believe the ‘70 had a 351c. I don’t know if the timing specs are different, if it even matters.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
I painted the timing marks with a white model paint wash and wiped the excess off with alcohol and a Q-tip during restoration. It's difficult enough to see them on the black damper in confined spaces. Even more difficult with a chrome timing cover and drive pulley.

·
Registered
1970 Sportroof Mustang Grabber Value Package
334 Posts
My 70 with a Cleveland is the same way.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Is that the original engine?? I believe the ‘70 had a 351c. I don’t know if the timing specs are different, if it even matters.
The 351W two barrel was offered in 1970.

Reactions: Grabber70Mach

·
I won a special award
7,997 Posts
In 1970 only, an "H" code 2v 351 Mustang could have either a 2v 351 Windsor or a 2v 351 Cleveland. The "M" code 4v 351 was a 351 Cleveland only. My 1970 H code Mustang came from the factory with a 351W.

Reactions: Grabber70Mach
1 - 11 of 11 Posts