Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have a 1970 Mach 1 351 Windsor as it was build end of 1969.

I am having trouble figuring out if my engine block is numbers matching or not. Could someone please advice.

My vin number is 0T05H138618

I have attached some photos of the block. There is a part on the block where it is stamped 0T03. It look like a 3. Then there is a space and on the edge it looks like the numbers 8618. The last digit is faint.
Blue Azure Grey Tints and shades Electric blue
Brown Wood Font Art Tints and shades

Please can you give me your opinion.

Many thanks

·
I won a special award
8,175 Posts
That appears to be the factory block. The last 4 digits stamped on the block match the last 4 of the vin.

·
Registered
39,049 Posts
Weird stuff happens. The VIN on the engine block would be a "partial" with the year (0), the assembly plant (T) and the last 6 sequential serial number. The body style and engine code weren't stamped.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'm not understanding something here. Is the car a convertible?

The VIN says its a 05 - Fastback Mach 1 BUT the engine stamp says its a 03 - Convertible. So, did they stamp the block wrong, is the VIN changed so that it appears to be a MACH 1 when it is a convertible with MACH 1 trim attached ? Seems like it could be easy to make a 3 appear a 5. Does the VIN appear altered at all?
Did the MACH 1 even come as a convertible?

·
I won a special award
8,175 Posts
I'm not understanding something here. Is the car a convertible?

The VIN says its a 05 - Fastback Mach 1 BUT the engine stamp says its a 03 - Convertible. So, did they stamp the block wrong, is the VIN changed so that it appears to be a MACH 1 when it is a convertible with MACH 1 trim attached ? Seems like it could be easy to make a 3 appear a 5. Does the VIN appear altered at all?
Did the MACH 1 even come as a convertible?
Mach 1's were only fastback. Read woodchuck's reply above about the partial VIN stamp on the block.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I read woodchucks reply and understand how the stamping appears and the partial VIN on the block. My 71 Mach 1 is the same way. So why is the 0T03 on the block?
I'm talking about the 0T05 part of the VIN, difference between 05 (Mach1) in the vin and the 03 (convertible) on the block. Those different numbers reflect different cars.

·
I won a special award
8,175 Posts
I read woodchucks reply and understand how the stamping appears and the partial VIN on the block. My 71 Mach 1 is the same way. So why is the 0T03 on the block?
I'm talking about the 0T05 part of the VIN, difference between 05 (Mach1) in the vin and the 03 (convertible) on the block. Those different numbers reflect different cars.

As Woodchuck said, they did not stamp the body code part of the VIN on the blocks. Sometimes there were errors in stamping VIN's. We've seen body VIN's with errors. After all, when you're making hundreds of thousands Mustang you're bound to have a few VIN errors.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Ignore the spaces. What are the last 5 characters of the VIN? Now what are the last 5 characters of the engine stamp? Subtract one from the other and what do we have? No difference :)

·
Registered
11,002 Posts
Body code was never meant to be stamped on the partial VIN on the block nor the ones on the shocktowers. His block should read 0T138618, in a perfect world, but mistakes do and always will happen . I had a 71 Metuchen car that the tower VIN was stamped 4Txxxxxx

1 - 10 of 10 Posts