Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched this forum and could not find the answer.

How do I remove the rocker moulding pieces on a 1970m Mach 1.

The 2 pieces I am having problems with are the Front piece mounted on the front fender, and the piece on the rocker area under the door (not the one mounted on the door). I have removed what ever screws I see on the outside, but not sure how the clips work, or if there are any nuts hidden on the back side.

Also any advice on painting. Is it best to do the complete panels black then paint the silver on the ribs or paint the silver ribs first, mask them off, then paint the black?

Thanks.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Easy question first...the paint for the molding is actually "dark Argent" get it from NPD.

The molding at the rocker has a row of screws along the bottom, after you remove them, lift the molding up off the retainer strip, (go straight up, not out). The molding hangs off this retainer strip and the screws hold it to the car.

The front peice is trickier as there are two types of molding, early and late. The early cars got molding with removable letters. The early type is screwed on with screws under some of the letters.The drivers' side hides the screws under the "A" and "1", while the passenger side hides the screws under the "M" and "C".Also there are a couple of nuts that neeed to be removed from the back, accessible from the wheel well. The late style had the letters molded into the molding itself. The late style has visible screws and a couple of nuts accessible from the back through the fender at the wheel well.

here are some pictures of the early type. I also included a couple of pics of the backside of the lower molding. hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks very much. I appreciate it all of the details. I was partly there, but did not have all of the hiddem screws.

Have a great New Year,

Tony

1 - 3 of 3 Posts