Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my Marti report, and it states that my car originaly had a shaker hood scoop on top of a 351w 2v. Now it has a 351c 2v and a standard bolt on fake scoop. The 351w I will be installing here shortly as I have on laying around my garage. How much cash and work is involved in installing a shaker assembly for a 351w? Also, the engine to be installed is a very warmed up 408, can you use a shaker scoop on an open element filter, or will the shaker assembly breath well enough for the 408 to get the proper airflow?

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
the 1970 351W shaker is probably the RAREST of all the shaker setups as the majority of 70 Mustangs were Cleveland powered. I have both 1969 AND a 1970 351W shaker assemblies in my collection. the main difference between the 69 and 70 Windsor shaker bases is that the front vent tube on the 69 is cast in metal whereas the 70 has a plastic elbow with a gromlet. Also, the 70 received an extra accessory hole near the snorkle for California equipped charcoal cannister models. the 69/70 Windsor shaker bases also received a unique snorkle - I only have one in my possession. if you arent after "concours", just about any of the shaker bases can be made to work with the right spacer. It just depends on how "correct" you want to be....

as far as enough air flow for that 408 - do what I did on my Boss 302 shaker. I replaced the standard 14 inch element lid with a K&N Extreme lid which fit nicely under the shaker and increased the air flow immensely.....

randy

·
Registered
560 Posts
What intake are you running on the 'warmed up 408'.
Air gap, victor anything will not fit with a shaker.BTDT.

I was also curious how the Marti Report id's between windsor and cleveland motors? Does it actually say Windsor? What was the build date of your car?

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It does actually say 351W, build date is Dec 9, 1969.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts