Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been quite a while since I've asked but in the meantime has anyone put together a kit for sale that has all the parts and in steel needed to convert a 351C to a shaker. I know the base came out in steel by itself. Since my last inquiry, I bought an original shaker hood so am back looking for the conversion. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
675 Posts
It's been quite a while since I've asked but in the meantime has anyone put together a kit for sale that has all the parts and in steel needed to convert a 351C to a shaker. I know the base came out in steel by itself. Since my last inquiry, I bought an original shaker hood so am back looking for the conversion. Thanks in advance.
depends on what you want to spend.

scott drake has a repo kit thats got a fiberglass tub and scoop - all in I think you'll be around $400.

if you want original... multiply that by three.

checkout fordramair.com

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
id go repro at this point in time
NPD should have it all

i pieced my together in the late 80s and even then a good clean set was becoming hard to find
cost me $500 and everyone said i was nuts back then

for original check ebay they pop up time to time but be prepared for a few grand

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok. I know you can get fiberglass. I don't want that. I'm ok with repro but I want steel. I believe steel parts are available but I'm asking if there is a kit that has all the parts, but steel not fiberglass. I suppose I could piece together steel components, etc. but if a complete kit with steel existed, that's what I'd go for. Thanks.

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
Unfortunately, I'm not aware of anyone reproducing complete, all-metal Shaker units. That's why the originals are so expensive. Lots of people want them, but they are hard to come by.

Lucky for me, my 1970 Mach 1 came from the factory with a shaker. And lucky again because neither I nor the seller were aware that a complete shaker assembly can for sell for over $4,000! If the seller had known, the price would have been higher.

I have seen a reproduction, steel shaker base for the 1969 428. That will work with a 390 as well, but I don't think it will fit a 351 Cleveland or Windsor.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Unfortunately, I'm not aware of anyone reproducing complete, all-metal Shaker units. That's why the originals are so expensive. Lots of people want them, but they are hard to come by.

Lucky for me, my 1970 Mach 1 came from the factory with a shaker. And lucky again because neither I nor the seller were aware that a complete shaker assembly can for sell for over $4,000! If the seller had known, the price would have been higher.

I have seen a reproduction, steel shaker base for the 1969 428. That will work with a 390 as well, but I don't think it will fit a 351 Cleveland or Windsor.
Scott Drake makes both Metal and Fiberglass shaker assemblies.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've checked Scott Drake before and now and don't see any kits other than fiiberglass. For a little while Dynacorn has made the base in steel for $400. Yet, I don't see a complete kit in steel. Looks like piece-by-piece............

·
Registered
2,510 Posts

The 428 shaker base will fit whatever carb the 351 base fits, but the scoop will be much lower. Which is good if you are running a high rise intake/and or a carb spacer. I had a 351C in my car for a while and the 428 shaker, but it took a 1 inch spacer to get the scoop through the hood. It's definitely an option, but again, it will take at the very least a carb spacer.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
The 428 shaker base will fit whatever carb the 351 base fits, but the scoop will be much lower. Which is good if you are running a high rise intake/and or a carb spacer.
Yep.
I have a 428cj shaker on my 351W and Weiand Stealth intake. Fits nice. I didn't get the snorkel with the shaker, so I hope I didn't get ripped off when I paid $25 for the shaker.

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its advertised for use with Windsor motors. Will the base height and center position be incorrect for a 351C?
Good question. Also, while I have an original cast iron intake, an aluminum intake is on the engine now. So now that the "water is real muddy", it looks like a real challenge to determine the correct/acceptable stack height without the pain of trial and error.

·
Registered
9,442 Posts

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
351W and 351C have different base heights and center positions so likely something will need to be changed to get the hood to fit correctly. let us know how it works out.
Good point. Maybe when CJP says it will fit, they're really saying, "Sure, it will bolt onto the carburetor, but as to making it fit through the hole in the hood, well, that's you're problem".

1 - 19 of 19 Posts