Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to take apart my 9" rear end and replace the seals, change gear oil etc. Does anyone know what color the rear carrier should be (if any)? My car was built at the Metuchen Assembly plant. Alan

·
Registered
67 Posts
Red oxide primer, yoke should be natural.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Is that your car in your Avatar?

·
Registered
9,823 Posts
Not so fast: all the visible machined surfaces are natural cast iron. You might want to do a search over at Concours Mustang.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Mine is close, I missed one of the machined surfaces. I used a 2k paint mixed to look like red Oxide. I took cues for the guys over at Concurs Mustang. Do not copy any markings from another car unless you are sure they are correct for yours.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
69GT350H, I agree more research is needed. I am not interested in the markings at this time. I want the axles housing and the carrier colors and finish to be close to correct. Here is an article that has good inforation on detailing Detailing and Restoring the Mustang 9-inch Rear Axle It appears the axle housing should be semi gloss black and the carrier should not be flat red oxide but maybe a satin red oxide finish. I am going to use a rattle can, I know that sounds bad.... I am thinking of using rustoleum flat red oxide primer and then a thin coat of clear satin to shine it up a bit. What do you all think? Also, What finish should be on the snubber bumper bracket?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts