Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I am new to this site and forum. Please forgive me if I'm not following all protocols and edict.

I am in the process of restoring a 1970 Mustang coupe. I am having trouble locating all of the sheet metal parts that I need. I am looking for both trunk rear corners (picture attached), left and right side. This is the piece that connects the top of the quarter panel to the tail light panel.

I am also looking both left and right quarter panel extension brackets. This is the piece that connects the rear of the quarter panel to the tail light panel. It would be similar to the attached picture labeled shopping.png. I'm pretty sure that is a picture of a piece for a fastback. I need one for a coupe.

I've searched (and emailed) CJ pony parts, year one, dynacorn and done general google searches but I can't find the panels specific to a '70 coupe. Can anyone point me to a better supplier? Am I not using the correct terminology for the parts when I search?

I have never restored any car before, let alone one that requires such extensive sheet metal work. I am open to any other pointers or advice someone may have.

Thank you for the help.

-Bill

Attachments

·
Registered
236 Posts
-NPD is the first supplier I would recommend for aftermarket parts, First class service and support. Far as your Qtr panel extension , seems to be only made fot fastbacks.I would put a post in the Parts Wanted section for your needs.There is a post in the 69-70 Parts for Sale section of a 69 coupe being parted , but unfortunately some was after the same , does not hurt to ask though. Good luck

JD at All Classic Mustang has tons of parts Mustang Parts, Boss Parts and Shelby Parts, Mustang Parts, Mustang, Boss & Shelby Mustang Parts Restoration
Gilberts Classic Mustang [email protected] 618-550-9451

·
Registered
10,941 Posts
I would suggest contacting Scotty Strickland in North Carolina. He runs his own Mustang salvage and specializes in 1969 and later Mustangs. Friend him on Facebook and ask if he has the parts you need. His prices are fair, if not cheap. I got a roof pillar from him for my project. He is legit and reliable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
-NPD is the first supplier I would recommend for aftermarket parts, First class service and support. Far as your Qtr panel extension , seems to be only made fot fastbacks.I would put a post in the Parts Wanted section for your needs.There is a post in the 69-70 Parts for Sale section of a 69 coupe being parted , but unfortunately some was after the same , does not hurt to ask though. Good luck

JD at All Classic Mustang has tons of parts Mustang Parts, Boss Parts and Shelby Parts, Mustang Parts, Mustang, Boss & Shelby Mustang Parts Restoration
Gilberts Classic Mustang [email protected] 618-550-9451
Thank you. I sent both All Classic Mustang and Gilberts Classic Mustang a message to see if they have the parts. I will also check out the parts wanted section.

Thanks again.

Bill

·
Registered
10,941 Posts
FYI, nobody reproduces sheet metal which is unique to the 69/70 coupes. For whatever reason, they are not popular cars. That's why I suggested Scotty. Since they are not popular cars for restoration, you should be able to find used examples of what you're looking for. Most people who keep worn out coupes keep them as parts cars for people restoring fastbacks.

Don't get me wrong. I like the 69/70 coupes. I think they're cool. But they just never caught on with collectors and enthusiasts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would suggest contacting Scotty Strickland in North Carolina. He runs his own Mustang salvage and specializes in 1969 and later Mustangs. Friend him on Facebook and ask if he has the parts you need. His prices are fair, if not cheap. I got a roof pillar from him for my project. He is legit and reliable.

Klutch,

Thank you. I sent him the friend request.

I looked at the pictures of you Mach 1. Do you know if the dash installed (with the clock over the glovebox, wood grain, etc.) is correct for a '70? I have the same dash in my '70 coupe. I didn't think it was correct for the car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FYI, nobody reproduces sheet metal which is unique to the 69/70 coupes. For whatever reason, they are not popular cars. That's why I suggested Scotty. Since they are not popular cars for restoration, you should be able to find used examples of what you're looking for. Most people who keep worn out coupes keep them as parts cars for people restoring fastbacks.

Don't get me wrong. I like the 69/70 coupes. I think they're cool. But they just never caught on with collectors and enthusiasts.
I think I could probably get the trunk corner pieces from a 68/69 coupe or convertible to work but I was trying to avoid the extra fabrication.

I think these cars are cool too. I've had this car for almost 30 years. It sat untouched for about 15 years which is why it needs so much sheet metal.

·
Registered
10,941 Posts
Klutch,

Thank you. I sent him the friend request.

I looked at the pictures of you Mach 1. Do you know if the dash installed (with the clock over the glovebox, wood grain, etc.) is correct for a '70? I have the same dash in my '70 coupe. I didn't think it was correct for the car.
The 69/70 Mach 1 Mustangs came standard with the deluxe interior. I'm pretty sure it was available as an option for any 69/70 Mustang. So, someone might have ordered your coupe with the deluxe interior. Or, someone may have come across a wrecked Mach 1 and pulled the dash components.

If you don't have a Marti Report, I would highly recommend getting one. In case you're not aware, a guy named Kevin Marti has the Ford production documents for 1967 into the 2017. You pay his company a small fee and they send you a report all about when your Mustang was made, where it was made and all the options it came with.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The 69/70 Mach 1 Mustangs came standard with the deluxe interior. I'm pretty sure it was available as an option for any 69/70 Mustang. So, someone might have ordered your coupe with the deluxe interior. Or, someone may have come across a wrecked Mach 1 and pulled the dash components.

If you don't have a Marti Report, I would highly recommend getting one. In case you're not aware, a guy named Kevin Marti has the Ford production documents for 1967 into the 2017. You pay his company a small fee and they send you a report all about when your Mustang was made, where it was made and all the options it came with.
I haven't heard of the Marti Report but I googled it and Im definitely going to get one.
From the research I've done the my VIN, I think the car was originally a grande version. It doesn't have the "vinyl" top anymore, it's a standard metal roof.
Thanks.

·
Registered
10,941 Posts
Being a Grande' would explain the deluxe interior. The Grande' Mustangs were pretty sharp when they were new. Unfortunately, they got little love among enthusiasts. Therefore, just about all of them were driven into the ground and junked or left to rot in back yards across the country. It's a good thing someone did remove the vinyl top on your car. Otherwise, it would likely be rusted through. I don't think anyone produces the unique Grande' pieces, like much of the interior, so a proper restoration is pretty difficult. The Grande' Mustangs came with a lot of nice options.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
I love my 70 coupe...was driving it yesterday...It was the reason I started my screen name...now I have too many coupes...

·
Registered
320 Posts
I haven't heard of the Marti Report but I googled it and Im definitely going to get one.
From the research I've done the my VIN, I think the car was originally a grande version. It doesn't have the "vinyl" top anymore, it's a standard metal roof.
Thanks.
If the 4th digit of VIN number on your 1970 is 4, you have a Grande; if it is 1, you have a hardtop. Not sure about 70 but on 69 Grande without vinyl top was an option. 70 Grande had full vinyl and Landeu (half vinyl) top options.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If the 4th digit of VIN number on your 1970 is 4, you have a Grande; if it is 1, you have a hardtop. Not sure about 70 but on 69 Grande without vinyl top was an option. 70 Grande had full vinyl and Landeu (half vinyl) top options.
I'll double check min VIN. I'm pretty sure the code worked out to a full vinyl top.
Thank you.

·
Registered
10,343 Posts

·
Registered
10,343 Posts
I thought the Grande' Mustangs could have power windows, but I don't see it on the options list. So, was '71 the first year for Mustang power windows?
Yes, 71 was the first year of power windows for Mustangs. IIRC, they were available in Cougars starting in '69, so one could retrofit if wanted.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Just an FYI - the trunk lids can rust out on the coupes. The Cougar lids are the same thing minus the emblem holes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts