Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1970 Mustang Driver Side Sport Mirror Help

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Mach1 Driver 
#1 ·
Hi Everybody, new to this forum, I've got a predicament that I cant seem to figure out. I have "sport / racing mirrors" on my 1970 mustang. The drivers side mirror has the adjustment assembly (cables, mirror, adjuster, bracket, etc..). I am looking to repaint the mirror housing, however I cant figure out if its possible to take apart the adjustment assembly to separate the mirror from the housing? Is it possible to detach the cables from the adjustment knob, and then reattach after painting? I noticed when you buy a new housing, it all comes as one attached unit, so I'm not sure if you can take it apart. Any info would help, thanks! -Dan

#5 ·
If you do remove the cables, try putting a dab of different color paint or nail polish on each cable and mounting ear before removal to ensure you put it back together correctly. Otherwise, adjusting the mirror will be a very different experience than you expect :devilish::oops:

#6 · (Edited)
Maybe this will help, maybe not. I say that because some mirrors have different construction, particularly in the joystick area. I haven't actually taken my drivers side mirror apart (yet). I wanted an adjustable passenger mirror and bought one from an early 70s Torino, with the understanding that I would have to swap it to my 69 passenger mirror housing, because the bases are made to fit the contours of the door sheet metal. I'm guessing the construction is similar to the drivers side mirror, and just has a longer cable. The cable exits the passenger door and runs over through the dash where it mounts close to the driver so he can operate it.
I made myself a sketch of how the thing goes together and perhaps this will help in your disassembly. Depress the joystick down into the base, and remove the part I call the bridge at the top left of the drawing. This gives the cables slack. I actually made a little fixture out of a couple of pieces of 1x4 wood that I screwed together over the joystick to get it to depress, but some people claim they can just hold it in their hand and push down with their thumb. I couldn't because the spring pressure was too high. The joystick shown in post 4 is a different version than mine.
With the slack in the cables I could pull the joystick up out of its housing. The ends of the cables have little balls crimped to them and on mine the joystick was swagged over the balls to keep them in place. Carefully pry that open so the cables can be removed from the joystick, and the cables can be threaded out of the housings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.