Vintage Mustang Forums banner

201 - 202 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Greetings Boss50,
The large oval rubber plugs utilized to cap off the 65/66 Mustang rear shock top mount access holes can work great as well. - If you make your oval hole exact to the width of the harness connectors.

Your application (PCM location) and plan is better though given both connectors may need to easily pass through the “port”.
Like others, my PCM is inside the cabin and only the engine harness connector will need to pass through from out to in. Like yours, my vehicle harness resides within the cabin with only a portion of the harness leads passing through from inside to out etc. I don’t plan on a bunch of if any wet weather driving but I’ll also have to get creative to obtain a perfect seal around the harness wires and my “oval plug”.

I hear ya on the harness modifications. I probably have 25 if not more hours thus far in mine. As you mentioned the two harnesses are way too long in many cases and short in others. I’ve probably made more than 250 cuts and at least half of that in splices. All soldered and sealed/heat shrink covered. And yes, many different wire sizes. I “briefly” considered cutting and repinning as well.... When I regained consciousness I started cutting. :p I double and triple checked everything but still have both day and nightmares of trying to run down issues at ”startup”.. I also won’t complete the harness “sheathing“ until all is validated and engine running. Once finalized however, I believe it will be one of the cleanest wired Coyote’s out there.

Sorry for rambling. As always, your build and posting/sharing is awesome. Stay safe and well!

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #202
Kjsmitty: I don't mind rambling at all, nice to share with someone that understands what we are going through. You have not read my reply to one of your emails, so right back at you regarding the rambling.

When I was in Aerospace, I designed test equipment for some of the electronic units that went on Boeing satellites. Our standards were pretty high given there is no fixing the units once the satellites were on orbit.

I have seen a couple of other 69/70 Mustang Coyote swaps and I too believe mine will be very clean when done.

In my mock ups, I found a rectangular hole 1.8" x 2.9" is about the minimum size required to pass the engine harness connector through. I checked the size of the large oval rubber plugs utilized for the shocks, they are 1.8" x 3.4". These plugs look to be a viable option. I will take my harness and see if the connector will fit through the hole. Using the large plugs would be a economical and OEM looking solution for the pass through. I think I will order a couple of them if the connector goes through the shock mount hole.

So beyond the hole in the inner fender apron for the engine harness to pass through, for my build the other hole will be in the firewall of the inner fender well above where I placed the bulkhead fitting for my Vintage Air AC lines. There is just enough room in the right upper corner of the footwell to place the power distribution box. Makes sense to put in in a place that is clean, dry, and accessible if needed.

Take care, keep posting on your progress, and keep up the good work.

201 - 202 of 202 Posts