Vintage Mustang Forums banner

161 - 167 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
Last week I received a updated version of the Ultimate Headers PN 471071. I installed them on the engine and the clearance issues previously identified had been addressed. However, the clearance from the PS header to the starter motor remains very tight, maybe tighter than the previous set. To make the starter have a long life, I will install a heat shield on the mini-starter for peace of mind. The fitment of these headers are very good with the Coyote in the 70 Mustang. These headers were designed to work with the Heidts crossmember and the full Roadster shop chassis. It just turned out that they also work well with the Total Control Products front clip. Here are some pictures for reference.

In the last two pictures, low profile clamps have been added that include the bungs for the O2 sensors. These clamps provide some freedom to rotate the end of the clamp helping with alignment with your exhaust.










 

·
Registered
Joined
·
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
While the engine was out, I worked on two issues in the engine compartment. The first was clearance between the alternator and the DS subframe. In the interest of making the car more serviceable down the road, I found that there was not enough room to permit the alternator to be removed unless the engine was lifted off its mounts.With some experimentation, I found that I only needed about a 1/2" more clearance to be able to remove the alternator. I cut the subframe and welded in a temporary patch to verify the mod. With the engine and transmission back in the car, I verified the mod does provide sufficient clearance to remove the alternator with the engine in place. Now the remote oil filter and lines will get in the way, but it will be a lot easier to just disconnect those components as compared to what would have to be disconnected to lift the engine.





The patch for the firewall was also tacked in with the engine out. I am keeping the Charge Motion Control Valves or CMCVs on the back of the intake to retain the stock driveability. The space between the back of the intake and the firewall is very tight unless you make a modification to the firewall. We went that route and moved the firewall back about 1 3/4" providing space for the heater bypass valve, heater hoses, and the fuel pressure regulator, all of which will occupy some of this new space.


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
Boss50h: you're killing it. I'm not going the same route as you, but thanks to you and your build I am learning a lot of what does/doesn't work. Thanks for the great write ups and info, some day I'll catch up...

I forgot something else that may prove useful for anyone doing a coyote swap, may prevent modifying ds frame rail.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
Blutruck1: both the solutions you posted are interesting, but neither applies to my build. The Detroit Speed relocation bracket, may or may not have helped me. I found the subframe mod to be more effective as I own a welder to weld in the patch. Once fully welded, the patch will look like it was designed to be there.
The serpentine belt system to permit a supercharger to be used with AC and PS is also interesting, but expensive. Add the cost of the serpentine system to the Edlebrock supercharger and you have a lot of dough tied up. Putting a Coyote in a 1st gen Mustang is a challenge now matter how complicated you decide to make the build. I have found that trying to integrate parts from multiple vendors to be the greatest challenge. Every time I move onto a new aspect of the build, I have to tell myself it is custom and expect that nothing is bolt on. I plan to share my alterations to my subframe connectors next month. Every time I solve a problem and move on to the next, I get another dose of motivation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
Alan,

Glad to see progress is still being made! Your work and car is looking fantastic and those headers are a tidy piece of business too!!
Yes, progress is still being made, just slow. I never thought it would take 6 months to work out the details for the headers, but Ultimate Headers was trying to work out the bugs without a Coyote engine in the shop. So they were working with customers, like me, to refine the design. Fortunately, others will benefit from what I and others have learned along the way.
We are heading into the winter months with first snow of the season Friday, so progress will slow even more for the next two months or so. I will be looking for projects I can work on inside the home where it is warm. With the header development behind me, I hope to see lots of progress in the spring, and hopefully, first start in the fall of next year.
 
161 - 167 of 167 Posts
Top