Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1970 Mustang Fastback restoration project

5000 Views 52 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  Grabber70Mach
Back in 2015 I sold my 2007 Mustang GT to pay for a project car for myself and my dad to work on while he still has some good years with his hands. I was able to pickup a 1970 Fastback F code car but after nearly a years work it was destroyed in a flood in 2016. In 2017 we managed to locate another car for us to work on. We've been working on it ever since. We're nearly at the point where we can drive it. Pictures and information below.

1970 Mustang Fastback

The previous owner told us it was the original 302 2V engine and C4 transmission. It ran poorly and was supposedly rebuilt but we decided to pull it and go with a 306. The body is straight and all of the body lines match and are even. The body is far nicer than the red one I had. There is really no interior in it as the person I bought it from stopped working on it. The floors were replaced but are a shotty weld job at best and needed to be replaced but ended up being replaced twice since the first person we had do it really messed it up. It had 4 wheel manual drums and manual steering like my last car but was upgraded to power disk and power steering.

Pictured when we picked it up

Interior stripped out. You can see how bad of a job the PO did replacing the floors the last time.

These are the images of the first floor installer doing a terrible job.

Seat risers going in.

Fixed

The new 22 gallon fuel tank was installed, new stainless fuel line from tank to engine.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

· Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Tail lights, bezels, and bumper replaced along with the rear fascia.

Engine and transmission being removed.

We paused building for a few months while we built an air conditioned shop to work on it. Working under the carport in the Louisiana sun was no longer an option.

What the new floors looked like after we had them replaced again.

The brakes on the front have been upgraded from drum to disk. Replaced all of the front suspension parts. The springs were a massive headache.

The 306 before we installed it

Some of the random parts we had before we got to where we are now.

In July of 2020 we finally got it back on all fours with a completely replaced suspension and brake system. The brake booster is an original rebuilt Bendix unit.

The dog has been helping.

We went with Dakota Digital gauges

· Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Custom lines we had to make for the brakes, rebuilt the distribution block and added a proportioning valve for the new disk brakes on it. Used a rebuilt booster from West Coast Classic Cougar.

Another image of the brake lines and setup with the addition of the borgeson power steering box.

Wiring going out. We used an AAW harness and fuse block.

Dash going in.

New Antenna.

Getting the AC duct work, all of the additional wiring from the A/C, new AAW harness, Radio and other things the car didn't originally have have been a pain.

· Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Test fitting the accessories before installing.

We had to custom make our transmission cooler lines. I never want to do that again.

One of the fittings was too big for its location and was rubbing the floor so we cut it out and patched it later.

· Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Because of the borgeson steering box and the .500 lift on the Brodix head exhaust ports we had to run shorty headers for clearance.

This was the day we did our first start. After nearly 5 years of work and countless setbacks and problem solving, we had a running car.

The engine as it sits now.

Startws putting in carpet. Window regulators have also been replaced....which was not fun at all.

Test fitting the dash before putting the gauges in

Got the dryer in for the a/c system.

Front seat backs installed. My last 70 didn't have these so it's cool to see.

This is where we currently are. We ran the power steering lines on this past weekend and next is running the a/c lines. We still need to put the gauges in and then we'll be able to drive it with the straight pipe exhaust we have on it now to the exhaust shop to have a custom exhaust welded on. Thanks for taking the time to read this far. I try to do updates every weekend.

· Registered
1970 Sportroof Mustang Grabber Value Package
1,898 Posts
Welcome to VMF, very nice build!
Where abouts in Louisiana? I'm from New Iberia. Who's ya daddy? LOL

· Registered
67 Mustang 351w
819 Posts
Looking good! Keep up the good work!

· Registered
1,898 Posts
When you said you lost a car in 2016 flood I immediately thought you must be from Louisiana, my sons house in Youngsville flooded but you guys had it really bad over there too. Hope to see you soon at some cruise ins .

· Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looking good! Keep up the good work!
Thank you!

When you said you lost a car in 2016 flood I immediately thought you must be from Louisiana, my sons house in Youngsville flooded but you guys had it really bad over there too. Hope to see you soon at some cruise ins .
Yeah. This was the old girl. She was under that nasty water for 2 days. We had 8 feet of it.

· Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
She was a beauty, that's a tough heart breaking pill to swallow.
Hopefully we're done and driving this one before Spring comes around. I would love to show up to some cruise ins but I seem not never know when they are until they're already happening.

· Registered
67 Mustang 351w
819 Posts
Thank you!

Yeah. This was the old girl. She was under that nasty water for 2 days. We had 8 feet of it.

If it makes you feel any better (which it won't), my stepdad lost his '68 Cougar to Hurricane Harvey in 2017. It had a 393 stroker in it.
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Grille Vehicle registration plate

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Automotive parking light

Reactions: Huntingky

· Registered
1,898 Posts

· Registered
67 Mustang 351w
819 Posts
Oh man that sucks too, that was a nice one!
If I didn't have a cast on my leg from rolling my ankle while stepping off the tractor, I would have swapped motors and rearends with his Cougar before the insurance company hauled it off. They didn't even offer him the chance to buy it back.

· Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If I didn't have a cast on my leg from rolling my ankle while stepping off the tractor, I would have swapped motors and rearends with his Cougar before the insurance company hauled it off. They didn't even offer him the chance to buy it back.
I was never offered a chance to buy it back either. Before they hauled it off my dad pulled the valve covers and air cleaner off of it and its on the new engine in the current car. Some things we were able to take off before they took it so our current project has some pieces of the old car in it. Makes me somewhat happy to have some of it.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts