Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before my son and I re-install the interior of our FB I want to protect the inner quarter panel under the vent windows. The original seals in the bottom are dried and came out easily. I am planning to POR 15 the area. Afterwards should I use seam sealer in the joints and the two oblong holes in the bottom that were covered by the large seal or allow a path for the water to drain out? I don't see how any water would have drained out in the original configuration. Thanks, Tom

·
Registered
37,794 Posts
a. Is the area rusted? If not, stay away from POR-15. Use a cavity wax, like Fluid Film, instead.

b. Do NOT plug the drain holes. If you're going to be using some kind of spray-in product, including a cavity wax, place some plastic straws or similar object in the drain holes and when the product has "set-up", pull them out.

c. If the area IS rusty, I'd remove as much of the loose rust as possible, treat the area with Picklex20, and apply a covering coat of Master Series Silver or Epoxy Primer (yes, it can be brushed on) over the complete area, before any seam sealer, then after the seam sealer has "cured" (see its tech sheet), brush on more MS or EP over the top. After that, you can spray a top coat of whatever color you'd like... factory primer color, truck bed liner, etc.... and I'd STILL add the cavity wax when done.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bart. I don't believe the area is rusty but I will get a better look tomorrow and try to take pics. There appeared to be two drain holes, one towards the front and one towards the rear. The rear hole was covered by the seal. The front drain hole seemed to guarantee that an inch or two of water would remain below the drain hole. I will get a better look tomorrow and report back. Thanks, Tom

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So here's a pic of the pass side, exterior on top, I don't see any rust. The original seal I removed completely covered the two elongated holes on top. The rectangular hole in the middle and lower holes were uncovered but approx 1.5" above the elevation of the seals. I'm thinking seam sealer in the seams. I'm not sure which holes were actually drain holes since the outer most holes were covered with the seal and the inner most holes are much higher. Thanks, Tom

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts