Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched long and hard to try and find where to get these parts restored or rechromed and refurbished. I find nothing on them. Also i need the lower piece on both doors. I have the rest in a miss matched purchase from 3 different places.

I could not find any video on anyone installing these properly. Nor have I found where I can buy the plastic fittings. Or how to repair a broken prong on one of the pieces.

If anyone could forward this or share it with someone who might have some information. I would appreciate it.

Rick
mach 1 Trim.jpg

·
Registered
817 Posts
Rick, I seem to remember a rather recent post on 69stang.com about the 70 lower trim. The site is dedicated to just 69 & 70 Mustangs, since they are brother cars. Come on over and ask there.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
IMHO, if you can't find the clips, definitely consider 3M double backed tape adhesive for trim

·
Registered
10,229 Posts
- The chrome trim pieces are reproduced. I got mine from NPD. They're not exactly like the original chrome trim, but they look very good. Not cheap, but just be glad they are available.

- The 1970 Mach 1 aluminum mouldings are not reproduced. They never have been reproduced as far as I know. If you require the door pieces, you're going to have to scour the Internet and hope you find someone selling those pieces. Sorry.

- The prongs on the smaller aluminum panels are notorious for breaking off. I was missing a few of them. I carefully drilled out the area where the prongs were, ran a tap in the holes, then threaded in studs with epoxy. This worked quite well.

- The clips are not reproduced either. I recommended to someone else here a while back to check at NAPA, but he never got back to me. NAPA has a big book with all kinds of clips. I recall seeing something very similar to the Mach 1 panel clips in that book years ago. The clips for the rear honeycomb panel are reproduced. I've never held the moulding clips and the honeycomb panel clips side by side, but they sure do look similar. That might be an option for the door mouldings should you find those pieces.

Yeah, those '70 Mach 1 mouldings look cool, but boy are they a pain. I spent countless hours getting them lined up on my car. They were quite wonky. Don't forget to black out the areas between the mouldings when you install them. Good luck!

·
Registered
1970 Mustang Mach 1
1,238 Posts
The OEM bright trim are aluminium. I had my bright trim restored by "King Of Trim" also. They can take road rash, dents and imperfection out, they polished therm to a beautiful finish and put the "correct" original anodizing on. Not many shops can do this. I recently heard their lead guy Marco is no longer with them, so I don't know how good they are these days. I returned a set of reproduction bright trim as they were no where good enough to put on my car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rick, I seem to remember a rather recent post on 69stang.com about the 70 lower trim. The site is dedicated to just 69 & 70 Mustangs, since they are brother cars. Come on over and ask there.
hey much thanks. I will try it. If not I may end up having to just do my best with what I can get and glue the stuff back on. LOL Again, I appreciate the heads up!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The OEM bright trim are aluminium. I had my bright trim restored by "King Of Trim" also. They can take road rash, dents and imperfection out, they polished therm to a beautiful finish and put the "correct" original anodizing on. Not many shops can do this. I recently heard their lead guy Marco is no longer with them, so I don't know how good they are these days. I returned a set of reproduction bright trim as they were no where good enough to put on my car.
Thank you. That helps. At least I know one place. I think I can do the trim polishing and such. I just don't have connects for any of it. Nor do I know how it even connects to car and if these parts are purchasable. I would hate to think of having to buy a restored complete set that was meticulously restored as it could run into the the $1-2k price range. But I'd rather pay it then to have mismatched crud hanging on the car that may be anxiously awaiting to jump off going down the road. Of course I'd probably end up bonding it using panel adhesive as a last resort. The kind they use on brand new car panels. Expensive stuff! Thanks again. I will contact KT today.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
- The chrome trim pieces are reproduced. I got mine from NPD. They're not exactly like the original chrome trim, but they look very good. Not cheap, but just be glad they are available.

- The 1970 Mach 1 aluminum mouldings are not reproduced. They never have been reproduced as far as I know. If you require the door pieces, you're going to have to scour the Internet and hope you find someone selling those pieces. Sorry.

- The prongs on the smaller aluminum panels are notorious for breaking off. I was missing a few of them. I carefully drilled out the area where the prongs were, ran a tap in the holes, then threaded in studs with epoxy. This worked quite well.

- The clips are not reproduced either. I recommended to someone else here a while back to check at NAPA, but he never got back to me. NAPA has a big book with all kinds of clips. I recall seeing something very similar to the Mach 1 panel clips in that book years ago. The clips for the rear honeycomb panel are reproduced. I've never held the moulding clips and the honeycomb panel clips side by side, but they sure do look similar. That might be an option for the door mouldings should you find those pieces.

Yeah, those '70 Mach 1 mouldings look cool, but boy are they a pain. I spent countless hours getting them lined up on my car. They were quite wonky. Don't forget to black out the areas between the mouldings when you install them. Good luck!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh my! I'm glad I'm retired as it did take time to go over the many pics you shared. Awesome build going on. I guess it is still being built? Super awesome. Reminds me of all the fun I've had with mine. Okay NPD for the shiny pieces. Got it. Do they furnish parts or tell us a way to attach these back to the aluminum trim? I'm hoping if they have them that they have a way to mount them. Surely.
I've seen two door pieces on eBay for $400. just yesterday. I Thought it a bit high. Seeing how they are non restored. But maybe its an option I need to consider. Lots of time and effort so far into this project and I've not even scratched the surface! LOL
Yep mine are missing prongs. And I have a fender missing a letter and the number. And the other side happened to be a later model badge. So I either need to get the earlier one and do a set or the later one and add to my set.

And I think the honey comb pins are smaller.I will definitely take a look at them again. And yes I bet it was tough to get lined up for sure.
As an ex body man I can simply see it happening in my mind, the kind of trouble I will face in the future. I still need to drill the holes in the right places on my after market fenders
and one door.
At least I have the patter I can use off the passenger side to drill the drivers side. Always something good to go along with all the challenges. ha.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
For the clips, be sure to check other Ford products, Lincoln, Thunderbird, Grand Marquis, Ford trucks. Remember, Ford was cheap, they wouldn’t have made one special clip just for Mach 1s. They would have used a common clip from throughout the lineup.

OP, I see yours is white also. What colour interior? Mine is supposed to be white with white interior which it will be once I get my a** in gear and get back to working on it....lol.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Body shop supply stores have generic clips that you trim to size. As stated above no repo on clips. Search this forum as I went through this with someone a while ago.
I sandblasted mine, then used correct paint and primer from accumatch. Results were excellent.

·
Registered
10,229 Posts
Body shop supply stores have generic clips that you trim to size. As stated above no repo on clips. Search this forum as I went through this with someone a while ago.
I sandblasted mine, then used correct paint and primer from accumatch. Results were excellent. View attachment 764481
View attachment 764482
That looks great. I ordered the "correct" paint for my Mach 1 mouldings from NPD. The color was WAY too light. It was actually light gray The factory paint on the back of the mouldings was more like a metallic charcoal. I ended up using the interior black paint for my mouldings. It may not be factory correct but it looks better than light gray.

Do you recall where you got the Accumatch paint?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Do you recall where you got the Accumatch paint?
As I recall I got it from local supplier in Alberta. I do know there are two different shades of trim color depending on where you mach was born. Mine is the darker.
I believe you can order direct from accumatch.

·
Registered
10,229 Posts
As I recall I got it from local supplier in Alberta. I do know there are two different shades of trim color depending on where you mach was born. Mine is the darker.
Thanks!

·
Registered
35,825 Posts
That looks great. I ordered the "correct" paint for my Mach 1 mouldings from NPD. The color was WAY too light. It was actually light gray The factory paint on the back of the mouldings was more like a metallic charcoal. I ended up using the interior black paint for my mouldings. It may not be factory correct but it looks better than light gray.
Light or dark, the original panels were never black, although owners often painted them black. Most of the panels I have seen were the dark charcoal color. Typical of Ford stylists, such as the coves on the 65-67 styled wheels, or the rear panel option in 1967.

Even the "mach1" lettering varied. On some cars it was moulded part of the panel, and painted argent (silver). On others they were chrome-plated letters, attached to the panel.

·
Registered
1970 Mustang Mach 1
1,238 Posts
NPD has the correct paint. Regarding the bright finish pieces, the correct anodizing is really important to achieve the factory finish. As a reference point, by hood trim was hit by my garage door hinge. King of trim took the large nasty dent out removed all road rash applied the correct anodizing, I believe it was around $110. It looks brand new. Regarding the trim retaining clips. I bought replacements from here. http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/auveco_catalog594.pdf This is a great source

1 - 19 of 19 Posts