Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
I won a special award
7,409 Posts
Looks like there were 70 428 coupes in 1970. Not sure how many were R code cars.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Well that's a first for me too, I wasn't aware such a thing existed.

·
Registered
35,881 Posts
Looks like the original owner wanted to go hunting for mach1's. Very fast car.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Rare does not equal valuable. A 70 R-code coupe is probably the least desirable CJ Mustang ever built (except for a Q-code coupe).

·
Registered
35,881 Posts
Rare does not equal valuable. A 70 R-code coupe is probably the least desirable CJ Mustang ever built (except for a Q-code coupe).
Which still puts it WAY ahead of any smallblock Mustang.

This would be a very fast car, more than an R code mach1. They say there's no substitute for cubic inches. Except reduced weight.

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
WTF. $9500 for a rusted shell. even if it were a Shelby or 71 Boss 351 that would be pushing it way over the top.

to bad its missing all the valuable stuff. it would have made a most excellant sleeper.
I can see it now with no paint stripes, black wall tires and dog dish caps only to blow away everything in its path.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Aw, c'mon! He only wants $24K for the whole package. I've seen this sleazy 'fish on the hook' scheme before: Great! You bought the car! Now, do you want all the rest of the stuff that makes it special??? Who knows, maybe he used to work for Freddie.

·
Registered
111 Posts
As others have said rare does not always mean valueable. I have a 69 Cougar R code drag pak car which is easily a 1 of 1. Unfortunately I don't have the engine, transmission, oil cooler or any of the rare stuff to go with it. I do have the horn bracket though. LOL

I know it's not worth much but I keep it around I guess because I know I wouldn't get much out of it and it'll probably be the only R code car I'll ever own.

·
Registered
35,881 Posts
I noticed the N case axle is still in it.

Lemme know if you find any rusty shell Shelbys for $9000.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Here's a '69 version. Put together like this I say it is rare and valuable.

I have to ask though, where does the key go? On my '69 it is where the washer switch is on this car. Were 70's different?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Here's a '69 version. Put together like this I say it is rare and valuable.

I have to ask though, where does the key go? On my '69 it is where the washer switch is on this car. Were 70's different?
rangerdoc,

The key goes in the column for 1970.

Nice picture of my car...can you send me a big copy of it? Deadstang at gmail dot com

BTW, this gold Coupe--done and as you saw it sitting up at Bellevue (I drove it up from western Oregon for the Round Up)--cost just a very little bit more than the '70 package deal with the parts and the spare '70 shell. I talked to the seller of the '70 coupe before it hit eBay. I can vouch for him that he is a legit guy who needed to move some cars to afford a very special Mustang that just came on the market. The package deal is as he states, which is pretty much everything to make a single CJ 1970 Mustang again. Just not for me.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Lemme know if you find any rusty shell Shelbys for $9000.
What does everyone consider as a Shelby (I am sure this has been discussed here, but a search didn't locate a thread in the last 4 years)?

Is it a rusted shell that has all of the VIN numbers removed (and no title or a bit of paperwork)? ;)

I haven't seen a good prospect in 20 years (and I've looked at a lot of leads).

My opinion of a real vintage Shelby (you will probably have a different opinion) :D
*An authentic Shelby is a car that is ~95% of what went down the assembly line. It may have a different fender on it. It will probably have new carpets. No one will dispute its authenticity.

*A real Shelby is ~75% of what went down the assembly line. It may have been in a bad incident and was partially re-bodied. It should have at least one original frame rail. It's still the real deal.

*A Shelby has all the proper VINS. It may have seen a complete rebody due to a bad incident or terrible rust problems. It looks real/authentic until on a lift. It is also in the Registry.

These cars are now over 40 years old. It gets complicated. I saw one recently that was advertised as 100% original. Yet, I saw two things that made me know that it was a rebody that went through me 25 years ago.

JMO

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
These cars are now over 40 years old. It gets complicated. I saw one recently that was advertised as 100% original. Yet, I saw two things that made me know that it was a rebody that went through me 25 years ago.

JMO
Good points. There has gotta be a certain percentage of a car left to lay claim to it being legit. And ofcourse atleast a serial / vin # too.

What were the 2 things that you saw recently that made your realize a car was rebodied ?

·
Registered
35,881 Posts
What does everyone consider as a Shelby (I am sure this has been discussed here, but a search didn't locate a thread in the last 4 years)?

Is it a rusted shell that has all of the VIN numbers removed (and no title or a bit of paperwork)? ;)
That's not a Shelby, or even a real car, anymore.

My opinion of a real vintage Shelby (you will probably have a different opinion) :D
*An authentic Shelby is a car that is ~95% of what went down the assembly line. It may have a different fender on it. It will probably have new carpets. No one will dispute its authenticity.

*A real Shelby is ~75% of what went down the assembly line. It may have been in a bad incident and was partially re-bodied. It should have at least one original frame rail. It's still the real deal.

By that definition a lot of Shelbys are no longer real. I thing you confuse "real" with "unrestored".

*A Shelby has all the proper VINS. It may have seen a complete rebody due to a bad incident or terrible rust problems. It looks real/authentic until on a lift. It is also in the Registry.

A "rebody" is when VINs are cut from a wreck and welded to another car.

How about this car? It was so rusty that most of the car between the firewall and taillights was replaced. The front frame rails, and aprons (except for the battery, of course) were intact. If you put it on a lift, it remains real/authentic.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I started a post around here, or the Shelby forum a few years back on the Shelby thing.

I asked the question, when is a Shelby deteriorated enough that it is no longer what it was.

Sorta like restoring a real Shelby around its door handle.

Seems like the folks at the Shelby forum seem to think it was like the door handle thing, in that even if there was one good panel it was still considered a Shelby and valuable.

·
Registered
35,881 Posts
I know a guy (slightly) who's rebuilding a wasted Shelby around an original Shelby drivetrain, and a few other bits and pieces. He does have legal title to the whole Shelby. I figure the results will be a Shelby, barely.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts