Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a pop open gas cap on the auctions site. Now I'm looking at it and I'm thinking I should stop buying online. The cap is loose on the hinge and the pony won't line up with the mounting holes. I will try to return it, but what should I do about sourcing a better part?

Are all caps made by the same outfit? If not, who makes the best part?

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
IME if you shop for the cheapest price you end up with a cheaply made part. That's the plague of the modern consumer price driven marketplace. I blame Wal-Mart myself, but lets not get started on that topic. :stirpot:
NPD and Mustangs Unlimited usually have decent quality parts but as large mail order based businesses they also have to be conscious of price and competition so if there is more than one supplier for a particular part they will most likey have the cheaper one to be able to advertise a competitive price, but may have small quantities of a better quality version in stock for those few customers who specifically ask for a better part. Personally, I've had decent luck dealing with small (and local if possible) restoration based companies. When they use the parts themselves for customers cars rather than just moving part numbers thru sales and shipping departments they tend to pay closer attention to the quality of the parts they deal with. Unfortunately, a big portion of the repro parts available these days are made in China and made as cheaply as possible. When better quality alternatives are available and you're willing to pay the extra $$ you still may have to search a few vendors before you find what you want.

In this particular case, I believe there is at least a couple different suppliers for the gas caps. NPD has an extensive list of part numbers in this catagory so if you call them you might be able to find out if they all come from the same place or if they can offer you a better option. NOS might be an option too but even that is hit or miss on quality. Depending on how particular you are, you might try looking for a good used one and clean it up.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are so right about the state of the current marketplace... I agree about the W***-mart effect.

I have used NPD for many of my parts, often paying for the high end version of a particular part. I usually drive out to Ventura , but with the price of gas being what it is, I have no desire to make the trip for just a gas cap. I will go by NPD when I visit my daughter in Santa Barbara.

NOS has been a non starter for me. I have not been able to locate a pop open gas cap for a 1970. They have been out of production for a long time, and I don't know of any body that has one. Any leads?

I would still like to hear any "success" stories re: repro gas caps if any body has them.
Also has anybody re-chromed their old caps? Is it possible?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hello,
I bought my re-pop pop open gas cap from Sue at Mustangs and More. The quality is good and it came fully assembled. You can visit her site at: http://www.mustangs-more.com/default.htm . Give her a call about the quality, because I bought mine two years ago.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Try to find a nice original one. The gypo ones are not very good. Keep in mind you can mix/match parts on those between '69/'70 as the difference is the back bezel. Flat panel( '70 ) versus concave ( '69 ) And the 67/69 use the same back bezel as an added note. Find a nice '70 back bezel and then look for a nice '69-'70 cap. Those caps were originally made by Stant for Ford and the later release were great quality parts, that can be retro fitted with that spring loaded seal (if you really want that! ) The '70 was not re-released in '93 like the others but the center cap can be used on a '70 back bezel.....hope I did not confuse the issue.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
10w30dna said:
Try to find a nice original one. The gypo ones are not very good. Keep in mind you can mix/match parts on those between '69/'70 as the difference is the back bezel. Flat panel( '70 ) versus concave ( '69 ) And the 67/69 use the same back bezel as an added note. Find a nice '70 back bezel and then look for a nice '69-'70 cap. Those caps were originally made by Stant for Ford and the later release were great quality parts, that can be retro fitted with that spring loaded seal (if you really want that! ) The '70 was not re-released in '93 like the others but the center cap can be used on a '70 back bezel.....hope I did not confuse the issue.
I currently have a 1970 base with a '67 "GT" center. Works fine, but I have new Mach 1 trim and trunk letters. They look great and by comparison the cap looks real bad. I was hoping to find a good repro, but I guess I will have to dig out the original and re-chrome it.

If I can't find a solution with a 1970 cap, I'll get a resto-mod cap or a 1971-1972 Mach 1 cap. Oh well....

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I've been debating have an original pop open cap rechromed or picking up one of the cheaper repros. It will probably cost me 3 times as much to get the original replated.

Who did you shop from on ebay? I want to know who not to use if I go that route.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts