Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered my Polyurethane bushings for my rear spring eyes and shakles. One problem... how do you get the front bushings out? The springs are new from NPD (Detroit Spring Co.) and came with the rubber bushing with the metal tube through it.
Also, I purchased a new front eye bolt. When you put it through the frame bracket and the spring the shoulder sticks out about 3/8 of an inch too far. The nut will bottom out on the shoulder before applying any clamp load to the bushing. I have no washers and none are shown in the assembly manual. Whats up?

Mark Memmer
70 Calypso Coral Mach 1 351C 4V Completed by 8/01
98 Cobra Convertible
93 5.0 Mustang LX (Winter Ride)
00 Volvo S80 (Wifes Ride)

·
Registered
233 Posts
I just replaced all of the rear suspension parts on my '70 a couple of weeks ago. My springs also came with the front bushing installed, and I think that is pretty common practice. As I recall, they are one piece bushings with a flared shoulder. Thus with the shoulder and internal metal tube limiting compression, it makes me wonder if their installation requires a fixture and press.

Frankly, after all the hassle and bowling language it took to get the old frozen parts off, I was extremely happy to get it back together.

Regarding the front eye bolt, it sounds too long and I must think you got the wrong part shipped to you. Check your shop manual.

David
Mountain Dew & Donuts, because breakfast is the most important meal of the day!
'66 Coupe 289 2V done for son
'70 Coupe 351W 4V (She Bear), doing for me!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts