Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi

I need some help with regards to a shaker for my 1970 Mach 1 with Windsor engine that I am restoring. Any help would be much appreciated.

I am searching for an original ford shaker. I found 1 on ebay that was off of a 1970 Mach 1 Cleveland motor. Mine has a Windsor engine.

Could anyone tell me, will it fit on my Windsor or is the Height of the air cleaner base different?

I am confused as when I looked at the scot drake shaker kits they said that for a Windsor you need to use the one for the big block as the Windsor sits higher than the Cleveland and 302's.

Does this also apply for original ford made shaker assemblies. Was the air cleaner base different for the 2 engines Windsor/Cleveland?

Also, does anyone now why the aftermarket shaker assemblies like the Scott Drake ones do not have snorkels on them?

Many thanks

·
Registered
195 Posts
put an add in the parts wanted section , was a guy on ebay selling a 1970 Windsor base only for $1000 , VMicheals i believe was seller
Good luck

·
Registered
521 Posts
I know for the 1970 Mustang there are four different Shaker air-cleaner bases: Boss 302, 428 Cobra Jet, 351 Windsor, and 351 Cleveland.
Each engine has a different deck height and center point of the engine. Ford located the cutout in the hood in the same location regardless of engine; thus the different bases. Using the wrong base for the engine will locate the base too high, too low, too far forward, or too far back. For a Cleveland, you need to use a Cleveland base, for a Windsor a Windsor base, etc.

Different model cars also had different basses as well: I.E. - the '69 Mustang and '70 Torino have their own unique Shaker bases.

So be certain you have the correct base for your particular application. If your supplier isn't being specific as to the engine and car - then they don't know themselves! A "generic" application shaker base doesn't exist.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Mach, if you need a 70 Windsor shaker, let me know. I have 2 complete 1970 351 Windsor shaker assemblies left( willing to sell one of them but it be won't be cheap if you need the snorkel and mounting bracket with it). The 70 351 Windsor is unique and the rarest of the Mustang shakers( my guess is less the 600 were made based on the info out there). It utilizes a flat base where's the 351 Cleveland used a pop up base, uses a extremely rare and hard to find 1970 Windsor shaker snorkel along with a very unique and rare shaker base mounting bracket. I've have a dozen or so shakers left and used to do about 2-3 Concours restorations on shakers a year( I shoot paint from a gun, no rattle can garbage) but am to busy with other projects right now so the restoration of shaker assemblies is currently on hold. Just PM me if still in need of one. Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mach, if you need a 70 Windsor shaker, let me know. I have 2 complete 1970 351 Windsor shaker assemblies left( willing to sell one of them but it be won't be cheap if you need the snorkel and mounting bracket with it). The 70 351 Windsor is unique and the rarest of the Mustang shakers( my guess is less the 600 were made based on the info out there). It utilizes a flat base where's the 351 Cleveland used a pop up base, uses a extremely rare and hard to find 1970 Windsor shaker snorkel along with a very unique and rare shaker base mounting bracket. I've have a dozen or so shakers left and used to do about 2-3 Concours restorations on shakers a year( I shoot paint from a gun, no rattle can garbage) but am to busy with other projects right now so the restoration of shaker assemblies is currently on hold. Just PM me if still in need of one. Thanks
Hi Dan. I was wondering if you might have a shaker mid-plate, for a 70 Boss 302. It's the one with the 2 holes in the front for either 2v, or 4v. I think that's correct. I traded my original mid-plate to a good friend, but now I want to have the complete assembly, so I can install it. Thanks.
Harry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts