Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As far as I know (which seems to be not much when I think about it), all shaker cars came with some type of emblems on the shaker except for Boss cars. Is this correct? I see some non-Boss cars on ebay that look to have original shakers on them with no emblems.

Also, I've seen 351 emblems that are a true rectangle shape like the ones on my shaker, while others are slanted. Can someone tell me what the application diffference is with these?

Finally, if I'm supposed to have emblems on my shaker (like I do), why did Ford put the 351 emblem in the hood stripe as well. Seems redundant to me.

I hate asking this stuff, but there's just no other place to find it out.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have the original shaker on my car, and it has the 351 emblems on it. I also have some of the ford exploded diagrams that show the emblems as part of the assy. I have seen some of the show cars without them, but I'm going to keep them on my car.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
in 1970 the only shaker that got an emblem was the 428 cobrajet. and it was a "cobrajet" script.

1969 had the emblems bolted to the shaker
1970 had the decal engine call outs on the hood stripe instead

·
Registered
166 Posts
OK then I'm confused. I'll try to get a couple of pages on this reply from my ford exploded manual. According to this, it looks like the 351W gets the emblems and the 351C does not. Very odd.

http://img385.imageshack.us/img385/562/shakerassy10lc.jpg

http://img486.imageshack.us/img486/1720/shakerassy2jm.jpg

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Please understand that what you are looking at is a parts catalog. This in no way means that this is the way they built the cars. Could have been some of the times, none of the times or all of the times.

So don't trust IMHO a single soruce especially things like the Assembly Mnauals, Shop Manuals or the Ill Parts Catalog
My favorite oppps is the VIN being stamped on the firewalls of 66's

Much of the stuff that made it into print (and in turn is reproduced) can come from preproduction sources also.

Plenty of back info out there.

As for the question there has been allot of dicusion over the years and from what I know there have been no solid documentation one way or another, It appears to be a running change with no solid cut off point established as of yet. On my 69 R code Mach I (if I ever build it) will use no emblems.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
See, that confirms my reduncancy theory about having the emblems and the decals. It's hard to believe that so many owners would physically drill their shakers to add emblems that were only correct for the previous year and it appears the majority have.

My car was an early Dearborn 70 Mach (Sept 69') so not sure if the shaker could have been a previously drilled holdover from the factory for a previous model year.

I truly appreciate everybody's comments and knowledge on this. I really hate to think about filling and filing those that shaker.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I agree that 1969s had the emblems bolted to the shaker
1970s had the decal engine call outs on the hood.

JBauer4363

·
Registered
915 Posts
My 1970 Fastback with shaker hood and 351W had decals on the hood and 351 emblem on the scoop this was an 18,000 original mile car when I got it. Mike

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mike, when was your car built and where?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts