Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1970 Sportsroof 351w/FMX

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Musclford 
#1 ·
Well, Had my car since I was 17, now I'm 47, and it's been sitting since 1991...

Got the kids mostly raised, and my boy keeps bugging me about my FIRST CAR.

Figured I'd try to get some motivation and start surfing for ideas.

This is what it looked like when I got it in 1985, (granted, Pics don't do it justice).

And of course It's current state after Floor Pans, Torque Boxes, Frt inner fenders, Rust free doors from CA, outer wheels and aftermarket Rear quarters from somewhere in Detroit, I bought in 1990 (TomTulsty) I think. :)

Problem is, it needs rear frame sections and I'm not a Body Man. Was looking to find Mustang Shop, (Chicago / St.Louis Area) to help me past the hump I've been sitting and get some paint applied. Worked at my dad's independent garage all my life, so the mechanics are not a problem.

It's one of 6,464, If memory serves me correct.

Just a 351w / FMX, sportsroof, with Deluxe interior.

I only want to make it a Resto mod, not worth Concours effort.

So, this is HOPEFULLY the beginning to get her back on the road.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Thank you,

Fortunately I've had the ability to keep it as the house I bought has a heated 1800 sq ft garage.

I was worried about trying to do frame rails myself for fear that I would get so deep and be at a point of no return.

I'm picky enough, that I could probably do the body work too, and patient, but, beings this was my first real job, I think I bit off more than I could chew:)

Perhaps I'll cruise around a bit and maybe I'll find enough to try tackling it myself. I'd like to end up with a 4 Link in the rear and a Rack & Pinion up front since it will never be stock anyway at this point.

To think I could have bought a 69 428 CJ 3:91 4speed, for 6K when I was 19.... 22k Miles and someone looking at it said, it didn't have the original intake/carb. IT WAS CLEAN...... What was I thinking :)

#6 ·
Pipes or not / Suggestions Please on where to start.

Yep not sure, I like the clean look, think I'm going to add a color matched Mach1 hood scoop and may go back with side pipes like you said, cuz that's the way it was, but I have way more things to address before that, However, I am thinking of keeping it resale Red. :)

I will say, the few comments from you all have already inspired me to consider doing it myself...:)
For the first time in 25 years, I actually can see my floor boards, I pulled everything out of the car tonight and started refreshing myself with where I left off :) oh, So much to do.

I haven't looked around the board very much.. I would certainly appreciate any feedback.

Here's my thoughts, I should likely make sure the cars at least straight..
Hang the front suspension so it will roll, and take it to the local shop and have it laser checked to ensure it's straight.
Heck I put the torque boxes and floor boards in while I was laying on my back and car was jacked up sideways.. I was 19, so I didn't know much.

I'm really thinking of making a Rotisserie myself.
Removing Shock Towers for clearance and using a rack&Pinion
Again, this won't be a concourse car, this will be a driver.

any guidance and do's don'ts are appreciated.

Here's my pics inside, and a guy did hang the left quarter, then hung the right and left it where it's at.. Not sure it was the right thing to have it meet on the corner... I may pull this back off. Want to put bigger meats on it, so wondering if I should make any mods to handle bigger tires.. I really don't want the 70's JACKED up look

Thx!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.