Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody... I am currently building a 70 t/a style clone. We got our taxes done and my wife and i agreed that i get $3000 to spend on my car.. I want to spend $2000 in suspension and $1000 on wheels. I was trying to get the most bang for the buck for the suspension. I am looking for suggestions on what i should use. i want the car to sit low like a t/a car and handle good as well.. I was looking at this kit coiloverrear. as for wheels, if anyone has a set of minilites or similar wheels for sale for about $1000 please let me know! All suggestions are welcomed, thanks!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
For $2K and staying true to period T/A racing, I'd look at modified original-style suspension components (Opentracker, Cobra Automotive, Maeco, etc). And without knowing what stage you are in the project, consider dropping the nose as done on the T/A cars if you really want the low stance (just have to ask what types of roads you'll drive on, though).

...and good call going with Minilites. Bet your car will look sweet once it's done.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For $2K and staying true to period T/A racing, I'd look at modified original-style suspension components (Opentracker, Cobra Automotive, Maeco, etc). And without knowing what stage you are in the project, consider dropping the nose as done on the T/A cars if you really want the low stance (just have to ask what types of roads you'll drive on, though).

...and good call going with Minilites. Bet your car will look sweet once it's done.
thanks for the reply.. i am dropping the nose in the next week or so..starting flares this weekend...i want it to sit just like the t/a cars..

·
Registered
388 Posts
is that a supertrapp hanging off the end of the side exhaust on the yellow car?!?! DO WANT!

sadly my 65 had that same shock trick performed on it by the previous owner who let the stock shocks self destruct.

I'll definately keep an eye on this thread to see where it goes. I'm missing too many of the stock front components to go w/ most of the kits that have you reusing some of the stuff but I'd like to see whats out there.

·
Vendor
5,289 Posts
LOL...I like that shock trick!
I was pretty surprised at how many folks actually want the system installed this way... I call it, "all go underneath, all show in the engine bay"!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I was pretty surprised at how many folks actually want the system installed this way... I call it, "all go underneath, all show in the engine bay"!
I can see that. While it may sound a bit anal and somewhat irrational, my main dislike of the available front coilover kits is the appearance of the shock tower plates, especially on street cars that otherwise look period correct. I actually thought about doing something like that on my '65 but never heard of anyone do it before so the thought passed as just some brief crazy idea. I like seeing cars with modern performance hidden so well in a period looking package. Too bad I'm building my '70 to be vintage legal, because that looks like pretty neat setup.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts