Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I'll try to make this story short...I've been looking at purchasing a 1970 sportsroof that is fully restored...After looking for several days, going back and forth, we came to an agreement on price. The person has pictures of the car from years ago when she was new as well as all pictures of restoration he has did over the last several years.. Heres the problem right before handing the money over I wanted to verify the vin on the dash. The vin and title match but the vin is 0F04 which says it's a grande. I know for a fact this car was and has always been a fastback unless it was changed since 1972...Could this be a mistake by ford...Has anyone ever ran across this problem? Any help would be appreciated..Also anywhere else to look for the VIN ? I have since passed on buying the car due to my concerns. I felt so bad for the original owner as he feels something just isnt right. Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
648 Posts
There should be a data tag on the driver's door frame, not the door itself but the body, that has a vin even though the official vin is the dash tag. The vin should also be stamped under the fender flanges on the front aprons if the aprons are original. Sometimes the aprons were replaced due to crash damage and if the body shop was on the ball they stamped the vin on the new aprons but many repair shops didn't do this. As many didn't swap the riveted data plate from the driver's door on the '65-'69's to a replacement door. Yes, Ford did make mistakes. Dave R.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is no sticker on the drivers door...I wish he would pull the fenders back but with it being fully restored I'm sure he won't be willing to do that because of risking the paint....

·
Premium Member
6,372 Posts
If the vin says it's a grande, and the title says it's a grande, it should be priced as a grande that's been converted to a sportsroof. That is, considerably less than a legitimate sportsroof would be valued. It doesn't really matter how the situation came to be, and that's just the way it is.

·
Registered
648 Posts
The sticker would be on the body, below the door striker I believe. Not on the door. Some guys have been able to read the apron vin from underneath as the stamping was heavily done. Dave R.

·
Premium Member
12,028 Posts
I agree- get a Marti Report. It will list all of the original equipment that was on the car and you can see if any of it matches what is currently on the car.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Yep get the marti. Not too common the Dearborn cars had vin problems but it does happen. That is a huge problem for resale of car. Also, check to see if buck tag is there. This may give you some info. Kinda leaning against such big mistake being made but it is possible. Big thing is that if there is no proof this was a fastback, its value is the value of a grande. Now if you pull marti and it says fastback then you are ok. He may say that such car does not exist because if database say fastback and you give grande vin, it wont match. But I assume he will look up sequence number from Dearborn and find it was fastback. But if Marti says it is a grande, then most likely it was a grande but more importantly, value is a grandes value.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
if you have to walk, walk. plenty of cars out there with no discrepancies

Reactions: 69DroptopGT
1 - 9 of 9 Posts