Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally found my Emminger invoice to my vert and read where it came with the optional wheel covers (retail $26.00/dealer charge $20.59). Anyone know what these are? Are they the shallow Mach I style wheel covers?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I looked at the 1970 Mustang Prices page (34) of the 70 Mustang Illustrated Facts Book and it lists only two $26.00 wheel cover options:

1. Trim Rings/Hub Caps (Std. Boss 302, No Cost on Grande and Mach 1)
2. Wheel Covers (Std. on Grande, N.S. on Boss 302 or Mach 1)

FYI:
The sports wheel covers (Std. on Mach 1) are listed, but would have cost $32.00.
The difference between the shallow and deep sports wheel covers is engine size. 302 and 351C-2V got the shallow ones, 351C-4V and 428CJ/SCJ got the deep ones.

By deduction, it seems the wheel cover your car came with is #2, and is the standard wheelcover used on the 1970 Grande', which is not a hubcap/trim ring and not a Mach 1-style sports wheel.

I don't know if you have either of these books, but I believe I've found photos of the wheelcover:

Mustang Does It! page 170 (top)
Mustang Recognition Guide page 172 (bottom)
70 Mustang Illustrated Facts Book page 5 (Hardtop, top)

It's a full-face hubcap and considered an upgrade over the base 10.5" "dogdish" cap with no trim ring.

Out of time but can provide scans later if you don't have any of those books.

·
Registered
72 Posts
in regards to shallow or deep my 70 mach1 ...351w 2v has deep style hubcap.had to buy 2 it appeared the last owner was a curb rider.found them at the swap meet in col.ohio almost bought the shallow ones by accident.

·
Registered
196 Posts
marks70 - that is incorrect regarding sports wheel covers

Shallow wheelcover was used on 6" wide rims, deep on 7" wide rims.
6" rims used on 302, 351-2V cars.
7" rims used on 351C-4V, 428CJ/SCJ cars.

Sport wheel cover not available on 6-cyl. cars.

Can back this up with info from multiple sources.

·
Registered
72 Posts
that is interesting info.just looked at my marti report the car was orded with deep sport wheel covers.e70-14 wide oval.no extra charge for the wheel covers.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I looked at the 1970 Mustang Prices page (34) of the 70 Mustang Illustrated Facts Book and it lists only two $26.00 wheel cover options:

1. Trim Rings/Hub Caps (Std. Boss 302, No Cost on Grande and Mach 1)
2. Wheel Covers (Std. on Grande, N.S. on Boss 302 or Mach 1)

FYI:
The sports wheel covers (Std. on Mach 1) are listed, but would have cost $32.00.
The difference between the shallow and deep sports wheel covers is engine size. 302 and 351C-2V got the shallow ones, 351C-4V and 428CJ/SCJ got the deep ones.

By deduction, it seems the wheel cover your car came with is #2, and is the standard wheelcover used on the 1970 Grande', which is not a hubcap/trim ring and not a Mach 1-style sports wheel.

I don't know if you have either of these books, but I believe I've found photos of the wheelcover:

Mustang Does It! page 170 (top)
Mustang Recognition Guide page 172 (bottom)
70 Mustang Illustrated Facts Book page 5 (Hardtop, top)

It's a full-face hubcap and considered an upgrade over the base 10.5" "dogdish" cap with no trim ring.

Out of time but can provide scans later if you don't have any of those books.
Thank you very much for the info. I have a slew of books, but I don't have the one's you mentioned. If you could post a picture, that would be helpful.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Cruise - I've attached some photos to show what originally came on your car:

1. Prices.jpg - this is the last page of the Illustrated Facts Book showing prices of 1970 options.

2. RecogGuide.jpg - Page from Must. Recognition Guide explaining that the base (i.e. free) wheelcover is the small dog-dish size one, but most opted for the full wheelcovers (standard on Grande as shown on price list, extra cost on others). Shows photo of this wheelcover.

3. RecogGuide2.jpg - Photo of coupe with this wheelcover from Must. Recog. Guide

4. IllustrFactsBook.jpg - drawing of coupe with same wheelcovers from Illust. Facts. Book (pricing source)

5. MustangDoesItGrande.jpg - photo of Grande from Mustang Does It! book sporting same wheelcovers (standard Grande wheelcover).

6. MustangDoesItCvt.jpg - finally, a photo of a convertible wearing these wheelcovers.

Attachments

·
Registered
196 Posts
marks70 - Thanks for the additional info on your car. I don't believe that the invoice use of the term "deep dish sports wheel covers" indicates that you originally had the deeper of the two sport wheelcovers. You'll note that it's part of the section that lists the standard Mach 1 package. Mine looks exactly the same.

According to pg 25 of the '70 Mustang Illustrated Facts Book, p.25, lower-right corner a table on wheel specifications shows the following breakdown:

250,302,351-2V used a 14"x6" wheel
351-4V, 428 used a 14"x7" wheel
(I can't locate it right now, but I know I've seen the same table elsewhere)

The Ford Car Parts Master Catalog has this to say:
Two wheel covers shown for 14" rims, D0ZZ-1130-D and -E
-D is shown for 7" wide, -E is shown for 6" wide.

I have held both in my hands and have seen these part numbers on tags on their backsides. The only difference is the thickness of the chrome ring the painted centers bolt to. Of course, that's also the hard part to find in good condition.

From what I see by your invoice, you have a base model Mach 1 with white sidewall tires. The 6" wide wheel is the standard wheel on the base (351C-2V) Mach 1 and I don't see anything on the invoice to indicate the wheels themselves were upgraded. (FYI, there's no tie-in between competition suspension and wheel width either).

But heck, anything's possible - maybe they put 7" wide wheels on your car and the wheelcovers to go with them - just very, very unlikely.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info. No wonder the PO put Magnum 500's on it. The cool thing about the Mags are they are all dated the same day in 1972, so I think they must have purchased them at a dealer around that timeframe.

As for the 14x7 wheels on 2V Mach I's, I have never heard of a documented case; however, Ford was known to use parts for other cars if they ran out of the part they needed. I had an 1970 Mach I that had Boss fenders on it. The yellow Mach I I currently have is an M-code and has big block reinforcing on the shock towers. If I was judging your car at an MCA concours event, I would deduct points for not having the 6" rims and corresponding wheel covers unless you could provide documentation.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Sorry people! I can't resist jumping in on this. I've owned two 70 Torino verts. Many consider the Torino to be a grown up Mustang!

o The first was/is a 302 F code ordered with F70x14 Belted tires. The F70 came with 7" wide rims, dog dish hub caps and wide stainless trim rings.

o Second was/is a 351C M code ordered with F70x14 Belted tires. The F70 came with 7" wide rims, dog dish hub caps and wide stainless trim rings.

My point is the 7" wide wheels and the wide trim rings seemed to automatically come with the F70 tires!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Slim - Were your Torino's all original or partially restored when you purchased them, or did you order them new? It is interesting that you have two cars with 7" rims. However, I have seen many examples of people who purchased these cars new, discarded the original rims for Magnum 500's, Cragers, or something else then the new owner in the 80's put orginal Ford rims back on the car. Many people put the 7" rims back on the car.

My point is that I am trying to find hard evidence one way or the other.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Slim - Were your Torino's all original or partially restored when you purchased them, or did you order them new? It is interesting that you have two cars with 7" rims. However, I have seen many examples of people who purchased these cars new, discarded the original rims for Magnum 500's, Cragers, or something else then the new owner in the 80's put orginal Ford rims back on the car. Many people put the 7" rims back on the car.

My point is that I am trying to find hard evidence one way or the other.
I bought my first 70 GT vert in 75 from the original owner, an egnineering associate. He had ordered it new. His wife became the primary driver when he got his super hot Mopar! She ground the edges off the stainless trim rings, the rims with the balance weights and through the F70 sidewalls. I bought the battered original in 75 for $625! Oh by the way it was the only Ford I saw that had a destroyed automatic! The yellow with laser vert sold me! Yes those were original 7" wheels, the ground down trim rings and all!

In 81 I bought the 70 GT vert I currenty own. It's an M code, also with 7" wheels. I have the Marti report showing it was ordered with F70. Again the date codes on the wheels indicate they are probably original.

·
Registered
659 Posts
hope this helps.
I've always been a fan of these wheel covers. My '72 Mach 1 had a very similar design, but it was a brighter silver. A great alternative to Magnum 500's in my opinion. Many of these were destroyed by clueless mechanics putting an air wrench to sping the hub cap lug nuts.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In doing some more research on this subject, the E70 and E78 tires are the same width (7.35" or 195mm). The F70 tires (7.75" or 200mm) are wider than the E70 and E78 tires.

In reviewing my three Emminger Invoices, the two cars that were ordered with the optional F70 Wide Oval Belted tires came with 7" wide rims and the car ordered with the E78 Belted BSW tires came with 6" rims.

It is interesting that per Kevin Marti's "Mustang...By the Numbers" book, in 1970, total Mustang production was 191,522. Of those, 190,731 came with the optional Wide Oval tires. This would mean that only 0.4% or 791 Mustangs came with the narrower wheel. If you correlate that all optional E70 and F70 tires had 7" wide rims, then why are there so many of the shallow wheel covers? There should be an abundance of deep wheel covers based on this theory. I also think that "Deep Dish Sports Whl Covers" being listed on the invoice is just Ford's terminology for the Mach I Sport Wheel Cover regardless of rim width. Therefore, I would lean toward the belief that rim width was based on engine size with some cars getting the wrong rims due to material shortages or just plain screwups.

This is just a theory right now. Can the rest of you look at your invoices or Marti reports to see what you have? List them away, but I need to know for sure that the rims are documented orginal to the car. If the date codes on the rims don't correspond to the build date of the car, then we shouldn't consider those in our investigation.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Cruise - how did you find wheel size from your invoice? My invoice doesn't list the wheel size. It only shows the tire size. We know that there is Ford documentation that ties wheel size to engine size.

Also, something is VERY wrong with the statistic you provided from the Marti data. There's no way that the majority of '70 Mustangs came with wide oval tires if "wide oval" equates to "wide" (7") wheels. Most '70 Mustangs were not big-block cars and most weren't Mach 1's either. This simply fails a common-sense review. I believe that "Wide Oval" is reference to the tire contact patch, not the width of the tire.

The build sheet does show wheel size, style, and type. Size is shown as a two-digit number. Mine shows as "70", and a copy of a '70 302 coupe build sheet I have shows "60". These are very likely 7.0" and 6.0" respectively.

If one person here with a 302 or 351-2V Mustang can show by their build sheet that their car came standard with 7" wheels I'll be happy to reverse my position. Otherwise, there is NO evidence to support the premise that with Mustangs anything other than 351C-4V and 428CJ cars came with 7" wheels standard. And no, Torinos don't count. Think about it - a Torino isn't just a grown up Mustang, it's from a completely different (fullsize) car line on a heavier chassis.

For reference - here is the wheel and tire data in table form.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The invoice doesn't tell you the size of the rim, but the build sheet does like you explained. I am the second owner of the yellow Mach I. The original owner said she did not change anything except the tires and the oil. Based on the dates on the rims, I would agree that they are original to the car. It is an M-code and has the 7" rims on it.

The vert has a similar history, and I was able to trace the SCJ back to the second owner. When I found the fifth owner of the car, he had the original rims in his garage. Again the dates on the rims match with the car well. I wish I could have found the original owner as I think the car may have been one of the pace cars for the Michigan ARI race in 1970. It states on the invoice that is was shipped to Car Corp before being sent to the dealer. The time between when it was made and when it sold was several months, and the race date was right in the middle. Wolfgang even has a post on his website about it. I can give you more info on it later if you like, but I am kind of getting off track.

As stated in my previous post, I too think that "Wide Oval Tires" includes both the 6" and 7" rims. I also agree with you that the rim width was determined by engine size; however, I won't go so far to say that a 7" rim never made it onto a 302 or 351-2V car. Like I said before, I had an H-code Mach I that had Boss fenders, and my yellow Mach I M-code has big block shock tower reinforcements. Back then, they did whatever they needed to do to keep the line moving. Even if the line ran out of 6" rims and put 7" rims on the car, it still wouldn't be documented. The only way to tell would be to have a low mileage original car with correct date codes on the rims and an original owner stating they didn't change the rims.

I also agree with your statement about comparing Mustangs and Torinos, but I didn't want to be as bold as you were in disagreeing.

If anyone does have documented proof of having 7" rims on a Mustang equipped with either the 302 or 351-2V, I would be interested in seeing it.

·
Registered
36,513 Posts
"Wide Oval" is the brand name, not the size.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
BTW, what is the dimension of a 14x7 Mach I sport wheel cover when you lay it flat on a table? I have about 20 wheel covers, but I am thinking now that they are all for the 6" rim.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I'll throw some more fog into the question. F70x14 tires were an option on 302's and 351-2V's, however I have yet to run across a car so ordered (then again, I haven't run across that many Marti reports on those cars either. I wouldn't rule out their existence, though.
That said, I have documented at least two M code 'verts that came with the smaller tires. One was 0F03M145395, a December build car, that came with E78's and hubcaps (from the Marti report). The other one was a late production 351C-4V M Code 'vert that came with E70 tires and shallow sports covers (also from the Marti report).
Big difference between deep dish and shallow dish sports covers (only difference actually, as the centers are the same) is the depth of the covers. Place them on their backs on a table, the ones that stick up further are deep dish.
Find some with a minimum of dents on the outer rim, some light road rash is survivable. They can be ground, buffed, and polished to look like new. Dents on the dish portion can be flattened, but not when their on the rim (unless someone has come up with a way to unbend the outer shell, polish them, then re-install them since I researched it). You do need to grind the entire rim, as they were flash chromed from the factory, and unless you remove ALL of the flash chroming, it will show.

Carl

1 - 20 of 23 Posts