Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
36,500 Posts
BTW, what is the dimension of a 14x7 Mach I sport wheel cover when you lay it flat on a table? I have about 20 wheel covers, but I am thinking now that they are all for the 6" rim.
The "trim ring" part of the 7" type is about twice as deep as that of the 6" type. You can tell the difference 30' away, so if your 20 covers all look pretty much the same, they are.

This is the 7" type. Very deep.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
The center sections (which unscrew from the back) are one and the same for the 14x6, 14x7 and 15x7 (Boss 302) covers. The coloring of the centers changed from argent grey in '70 to the black/silver combination in '71. This e-bay add shows three (close to) '70 style centers, and a '71-'73 center. Note, on the '70's, the raised edges around the holes should be chrome silver (as well as the "lug nuts".)

Centers

The "center caps" (about 3" round centers) screw to the funky looking centers at the back. All of the '70s use the black running Mustang emblem. These emblems are available from NPD, and can be replaced by unscrewing the center caps. The center caps are chrome, and can be rechromed.

As far as the dish portions, I'll try to measure all three tomorrow, and post the dimensions, but here's what a set of '70 14x7's looks like, with the correct center cap and emblem:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/cpierce64/Vert.jpg

Notice how pronounced the sidewall of the "dish" looks.

Carl

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know this is an old thread but wasn’t here when it was debated. I bought a second hand 1970 Mach1 in 1973 and original owner was a girl who received it as a graduation present and had not done anything to it. It was a 351 2V and had 7” rims with the deep wheel covers. This is undisputed because I was looking for a spare wheel back then and had the tire off the rim and measured it.

I have the VIN and have been looking for the car for 10 years. I have a ‘sister’ car with M code now. I guess I could order the Marti report for it. We didn’t care about numbers, build sheets or originality back then. It was just a used hot rod.

I know my anecdotal information is not persuasive to some, but it seems to follow others who have made similar claims.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts