Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im now (finally) putting my wiring in and getting very confused because its not working... :: :: :chainsaw: so I was wondering if anyone reading this has bought a wiring diagram(s) and would like to do me a huge favor and recommend a good Wiring Diagram.. (which company sells a easy to read one for cheap) Thanks A Ton!

Sean K.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I found the Osborn electrical assembly manual invaluable when re-installing my wiring. Decent assembly pictures up front and wiring schematics in the back. Costs something like $15 from the usual vendors.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I also suggest the Osborn Electrical Assembly manuals. Just about all of the Repo places have them (NPD, Dallas Mustang, Virginia Classic, etc.).

·
Registered
521 Posts
Hey - if anyone wants a REALLY GOOD and very accurate, color / partially illustrated electrical schematic for the 1970 Mach 1 Mustang, I have one. I got tired of all the [email protected] ones (like Osborn and even the Ford factory ones) that I spent about 15 hours redrawing one out for my own use. However - the rest of you '70 Mach owners might as well benefit from it. It blows everything else available away! It is particular to the 1970 351C, factory tach shaker car (<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
[email protected]<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = " border=" /><o:p></o:p>
</B>

·
Registered
521 Posts
I sure will. I’ll send it to your email, although I have to email a slightly lower resolution because of its size. Keep in mind that my schematic is specific to the 1970 Mach having the 351C with factory tach.

GENERAL COMMENTARY: After much research and the dissecting of my own harness I found that there is a lot a differences even within the same year wiring depending on engine, transmission, a myriad of options (warnings lights like BELTS & BRAKES, factory tach, radio options, etc), manufacturing plant and even what time of the 1970 year the harness was assembled. There is a large variance as to exactly how the circuit board connector is hooked up. Mine actually had two wires reversed on this board from what it was supposed to be according to the diagram for my year Mach and options. But since the input and outputs to the board were also reversed they matched up to the correct circuits – it was just easier for the assembler to do it the way it was because of the way the wires all crossed in front of the board. Thus - some boards may be wired indifferent to Ford’s schematic simply out of assembler convince! Who would ever know – right? …..except someone rebuilding the entire electrical system 42 years later.
I also found several wires that were tucked neatly into my factory harness wrapping but were dead on both ends – connecting to nothing! They might have been for A/C connections that my car didn’t have, being a heater only car.
Some wires like the AM radio power and BELTS warning light were powered through additional “extension wires” tied to the exterior of the harness that feed from the main fuse box and had 3-plug outlets at their ends. The “BELTS” and “BRAKE” feed wires simply plugged into one of these 3-plug outlets via spear connectors. On the ’70 Cougar harnesses these wire feeds are built into the main harness.

There are also at least two special resistance value wires (actually 3) incorporated into the main harness for the ’70 Stang: One is the ignition wire from the tach/ignition switch junction, the other is between the circuit board and another key powered junction that also leads to the ignition switch (refer to my schematic). Many people have cut or spliced into these and really made a mess of things because they are hard tungsten wires that can not be soldered to. That’s why it says on their sheath: “DO NOT CUT”. Mine were butchered by the PO!

Just as a note for those that are planning on restoring their factory harness: If you buy one of those “one assembly fits all aps for that year” harnesses (ie: Painless Wire Harnesses), you will not find it to be just a “plug & play” replacement. Almost every harness may be a bit unique to its own application even within the same year. You really need to trace out every circuit and match them up wire for wire with any aftermarket replacement harness purchase.

P.S. – If you want the actual photo references (A,B, C ..) of the junctions I can email them too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
70MachBoy, PM sent and also through Hotmail.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey - if anyone wants a REALLY GOOD and very accurate, color / partially illustrated electrical schematic for the 1970 Mach 1 Mustang, I have one. I got tired of all the [email protected] ones (like Osborn and even the Ford factory ones) that I spent about 15 hours redrawing one out for my own use. However - the rest of you '70 Mach owners might as well benefit from it. It blows everything else available away! It is particular to the 1970 351C, factory tach shaker car (<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
[email protected]<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = " border=" /><o:p></o:p>
</B>
Hi I would like see how the wiring lays along the side of the engine both sides and how the horn and sport lights are hung
my name is Darrell brown email address is [email protected]

·
Registered
748 Posts
stableboy - send him a PM. Never put your email on a forum post like this, the scammers will be all over that address.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts