Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased this 71' Mach 1 429 Ram a week ago. The owner I purchased it from said he did not know much on the back history on the car other then it was exported originally to Japan and made it way back to the USA years ago. Any one knows anything about exporting to Japan?

Little about the car. High Option CJ - 429 J Code C6, 3:25 ratio, Factory grabber green, a/c, power windows/doors, rear defroster, tac & gauges, etc.

Open the glovebox and there is a ford sticker with Japanese writing on it. On the air cleaner snorkel there is a ford sticker with Japanese writing as well.

Built at the Dearborn plant & the DSO is 91. How rare is this & does it add more value to the car ? -Chris​
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
303 Posts
Nice car, I really like the color !!! Thats the first iv'e heard of such an import/export. They did it in germany but called the car a T5 instead of Mach 1.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I can't respond to the added rarity or value of the car but it does have an interesting history if nothing else. Documentation is everything.

Oh yeah.....and nice color!

·
Registered
357 Posts
In New Zealand car dealers import a lot of cars second hand from Japan as they drive on the same side as we do. I saw an unusual Jap import sitting in a car yard around the corner from me a couple of years back. It was a 94 or 95 Mustang GT hardtop ( with the horizontal tail light elements). It had been outfitted with Bullitt mags and was Right hand drive and speedo was in kph.

GB

·
Registered
571 Posts
That's a cool car, with a cool story. I like it!

·
I won a special award
7,409 Posts
I wonder if it didn't go to Japan as a U.S. military member's car while he was stationed there? That would explain the reason for it being shipped there and back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
re your mustang, I'm from Australia & late last year also purchased a Japanese export example. It is a 72 mach 1 Qcode in dark metallic green with green interior. Like yours it is highly optioned with 22 listed on the marti report. It was built at dearborn & is Dso 91. The Marti report also mentions an export decal which is located under the bootlid opposite to where the spare wheel/ jack instructions are. There is also a small japanese decal on the lower left side of the rear screen . It also has a metric speedo, Kph instead of mph. The Marti report also mentions factory installed left dipping headlights to comply with their road rules. Unfortunately my engine bay & motor have been repainted so these decals are gone. Does your engine bay have other japanese decals apart from the air cleaner. e.g. caution fan etc. The guy I bought mine from doesn't know the history of my car other than it came to Austraila about 10 years ago. It is very low miles 57000km which is about 35000 miles. After searching the net for Japanese export info I have come across a 71 coupe that was for sale in New Zealand in 2004 & on another forum a guy had a 68 & he said it had Japanese stickers all over it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
A few years ago this car was discussed. I might have even read about it in a magazine.

Really cool car with really cool options and a really, really cool story to go along with it.

Congrats on the purchase.

·
Registered
139 Posts
A few years ago this car was discussed. I might have even read about it in a magazine.

Really cool car with really cool options and a really, really cool story to go along with it.

Congrats on the purchase.

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
Obviously Ford was way ahead of its time in the 70's having its cars built in Japan & then shipping them back to the states for finishing. Outsourcing in the 70's - wow. A few got to stay in Japan. If you translate the stickers it will say "Made in Japan". Just kidding - nice find. Enjoy your car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts