·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
i will later... ihave to work thanks for everything

·
Registered
10,869 Posts
Well, according to the Vin, it's a Mach 1.

Yes, I know you can pull the dash out with the removal of 8 screws. I know they can be swapped easily.

Personally, just insure and register it as the VIN in the dash. When you feel the need, pull one of the fenders and look for the stamping on the top of the flange in the shock tower. It may only be the last 6 digits of the VIN (the consecutive unit #) or it may have a few numbers and letters before.

You could get a blue interior with the white exterior.

Try cleaning the door tag off CAREFULLY with some lacquer thinner, just a little bit at a time. You should try the upper left hand corner first, as this area has no important info. The important information is on the bottom half.

Once you can see the numbers and letters, copy them down and use a Mustang VIN decoder to get your information on the options. Then you can figure out if the car is a real Mach 1 or not. Look inside the trunk area for traces of the original color, as there should be overspray inside, up behind the seats, on the wheel houses etc.

Also, there should be two light sockets behind the grill that were for the sportlamps in the Mach 1 grille. They obviously have no place to go now with the standard grille.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Well, I don't know if the preacher was lying to you or whether he may have just been ignorant about the car (you know, focusing on the "higher" things in life). I haven't heard of a 5-gauge option in the center, nor have I heard of manual disc brakes (manual drums, yes). So, maybe he wasn't lying or ignorant when he said it was "rare"! It just most likely isn't original! ::

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
my biggest worries is trying to find the parts i need... i probably need a new rear end soon... lost a gear tooth... oh... did all mach 1s have posi? or was that an option too... my car is probably goodfor a race car more then a show car :) but its to get me backn forth to work/school and have it turnheads :) *hopefully not the cops*

THANK YOU EVERYONE.. u are all so kind

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
most of use cant tell you by looking at the picss what you have other than a body style, i have owned many MANY 71-73 mustangs and have never seen manuel disc brakes, i would sugest you losen the front fender ( either side ) and read the vin stamped on the inner fender ( the strucual support of the fender), this will be your vin minus the engine code (on most mustangs) not all mach 1s had the tach and gauge option, but if it did it would only have three gauges interiors can be changed, other explanions could be poor mechanics, its not hard to remove a power brake boster just change the brake rod and cylinder, your car obviusly has the wrong paint scheme ( easy change) my 72 mach dosent have the MACH1 labels but it should have the MACH1 label in the center insert above the gauges( this also could have been changed) i would sugest a fender pull for verification.enjoy your car! ::

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
goodnews!!!! i have the turn signal sockets for the front gril :).. thats a good sign huh.... did all mach 1s come with acenter councel or was that an option too?

·
Registered
10,869 Posts
Mach 1's in 71 came with the base interior as standard equipment. This included flat door panels with seperate arm rests, plain-looking seats and the standard carpet with just a driver side heel pad. If your car came with the Mach 1 sports interior, you would have the nice molded door panels with woodgrain insert, woodgrain insert on the dash, camera case textured dash trim panels, comfortweave type woven seat material with accent stripes and a carpet that had two pony embossed vinyl floor mats sewn in on the front floors. IIRC, the gauge package was also part of the upgraded interior package. The base center console was a small, @ 12" long plastic unit that reallly only was to hold the ashtray. The optional center console was a full length affair, and stretched from the dash to nearly the rear seats.

That's good news on the light sockets, now you have to get the info off the door tag and see if it matches your dash VIN#, then we can see if at least the color on the tag matches the traces of the original color of the car.

·
Registered
10,869 Posts
Here's a pic of the standard (and very tired) interior in blue....

http://pages.cthome.net/hemikiller/MVC-847F.JPG

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
thats what mine looks like kind of... just a diff steringwheel...interior islast to fix tho :)..got to get my master cyl so i can blead the brakes... ANYONE KNOW IF ALL MACH 1s coe wit POSI or was it optional.. buickGSX all were posi

·
Registered
10,869 Posts
Traction-loc was an option on any Mustang, but was not standard equipment on the Mach 1. Get your door codes.....

21 - 30 of 30 Posts