Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've come across a very interesting vehicle in South Africa and I'm trying to din out if it is worth bringing in it back to the USA.

It is a 1971 Super Cobra Jet. Still owned by the original owner that imported it into South Africa. Speedo is in KM and it stands at 24,949km.

All orginal with all documentation relating to the original purchase.

Anyone have a ball park idea on the value of this?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I’m no expert in that generation, but did you google it? I see one that was bid on BAT for $50k, Barrett Jackson sold one for $47,300, and Gateway Classics has a couple listed for around $75k...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
3,551 Posts
Given the low mileage... If it is 100% un-restored, with original paint and interior and engine compartment etc.etc... And if the entire car presents itself as nicely as the photos indicate... Then it is worth more than a restored example. These 429 SCJ cars can be difficult to predict, because it's a matter of having two or more deep-pocketed buyers looking to buy it at the same time. But it could easily (if the original condition truly is close to as-new) rise up and tickle the $70K area.. Just my gut feel, I could be wrong.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1 of 40 built for the police according to the owner. I can't find any info to support this.

Comes with the second carb - still in the box.

Unrestored, original.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
That's a beautiful looking car. I have no opinion or idea on the value but I think we could all agree that it would look great back here in the USA. Any chance he has a Marti on it? Might help with value determination.

John

·
Registered
175 Posts
That car looks so good it’s hard to believe it is unrestored! Has he had it inside a climate controlled vault?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
If I were him I'd expect no less than $75k for a perfect, original SCJ car.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
If it is truely an unrestored, 15k original miles, one owner SCJ car looking that fresh I would think 75k at a minimum. What a great time piece. How did he store it!?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm not sure how it's been stored. Still getting some of the details from a friend in SA to colour in the story. Still not able to find anything on the 1 of 40 police units story. Would a Marti report give any insight into this?

·
Vendor
3,551 Posts
I'm not sure how it's been stored. Still getting some of the details from a friend in SA to colour in the story. Still not able to find anything on the 1 of 40 police units story. Would a Marti report give any insight into this?
Yes, I would think that a Marti Report would indeed provide insight, as there would be some sort of "fleet" connection, or central office order, or yada yada... I find it odd/strange/hard-to-swallow that any limited build of police cars would:

1. Have red interiors
2. Be 4-speeds (Cops prefer having the extra free hand and not having to manage a clutch in traffic)
3. Be SCJ cars (You're not going to win ANY high-speed pursuits in a drag-strip-geared SCJ Mustang, a gangster in a Cadillac could just drive away from you with the air conditioning on and stereo tuned to light jazz).
4. Have a center console (They'd be using that transmission tunnel area to mount radios and equipment)

I've never heard of 40 police-ordered 1971 Mustangs, of any form. And with the red guts, the console, the 3.91 or 4.11 gearing and the 4-speed, I'm kinda skeptical on that story. If any police package cars were built, I would be expecting the standard 429CJ with 3.25 gearing, automatic, air conditioning, power steering/brakes, and that's it. That would suit a police officer or government agent. The drag pack doesn't provide any utility or use for police, it actually slows them down and takes away their air conditioning.

·
Registered
637 Posts
If you want a 429 SCJ, that looks like it could be the best car you ever will get the possibility to buy. Another low mileage in similar great condition, with a cool history, that gonna be hard to find. A restored car are never the same.

·
Registered
637 Posts
The police here in Denmark also got a couple of Mustangs back in time, used for hunting speeders. One of them was an convertible.
The car is probably an ordinary production car, that in SA may have had added some police equipment. The SCJ was factory equiped for fast and hard use (oil cooler, stronger rods), so it sounds like an logical choice for police use.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts