Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My transmission will slip forward if I am parked on an incline. If shift perfect and firm through all gears. What should I look at for this slippage issue? I gotta feeling the tranny will need to come out...right after I just put the new engine in!!!!! :wtf:

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Re: 1973 FMX Parking Paw Issue?

First I would make sure the shifter linkage is correctly adjusted. Just because the shift lever in the car's interior says it's in park doesn't mean the transmission is in park. Remove the shift linkage under the car and push the transmission lever to the position where park is. Check to see if the right rear tire will still rotate.

If this fails, I doubt the tranny would have to come out. Drain the fluid, pull the pan and inspect the linkage inside the case. Move the shift lever on the outside of the case and watch what happens inside. Look for the part of the linkage that pushes the park pawl into place. Do you own a shop manual? BTW, where are you located?
Good luck. John

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Re: 1973 FMX Parking Paw Issue?

This is specifically for a FMX. The park pawl is what engages to stop the car from rolling when in park. The pawl is marked in red. Good luck. John http://home.earthlink.net/~feebay/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/fmxselector.jpg

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Does it move forward a bit and then stop or keep moving and not stop?

If it moves a bit and then stops, the pawl is just dropping into the next "notch" to stop things from moving.....it sounds normal.

If the car continues to move and never can be held still in park, then it is broke on the inside, regarding that pawl.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1973 FMX Parking Paw Issue?

Yes. It keeps moving forward and clicking as it does. I cant really see from the pic posted above but I am guessing the paw is inside the tranny and a %#&%@ to get too?

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Yes, inside. It sounds like someone put it in park before it was stopped. I did that once a long time ago. On mine, it broke the pawl. Check the3 linkage first because if it does not allow the pawl full travel, it will act as you describe and soon ruin it totally.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK....played with it today. On an incline if I stop and place it to park firmly. It will hold on an incline most of the time. I did this and got out and pushed the car, with some one inside, and after a little rocking it gave and started to slip/click as it moved.

Maybe I just need to get the linkage adjusted as it just does work not work realiably!!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any info on adjusting the linkage myself will be gretaly appreciated. If it is something a newbie can try, i'm up to it.

If it is reccommended for a shop to do then fine. Just hate to get to a shop ans have them try to bull&[email protected]% into a huge bill

·
Registered
486 Posts
My 70 was doing a similar thing but would only hold when headed with the front end uphill. Would not hold on the downhill. Found the parking paw broken on the inside. If that's the case, you'll need to drop the tranny. It's a bear to try and fix it in the car, plus you want to make sure you get any little shards of metal out of the tranny. I had a small piece go up and lock the pump up destroying the torque convertor and pump. The rear tailshaft has to come off to get the parking paw pin out. - Matt

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Heck, That was easy. Just loosened the linkagae bolt. Pulled the rod firmly to the rear and retightened the bolt....FIXED!!! The parking paw works perfectly!

Now I need to get into the shifter assy inside and tighten up the slop in the shifter!!!

·
Registered
537 Posts
If your shifter has slop, order new plastic bushings before you take it apart. they are only a couple bucks and probably worn.
good luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts