Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is actually a Web site for this car.
Jim I have to agree with you on this being the all time Butt Ugly thing that EVER rolloff of any line.
there are 47 cars registered here. Thats 47 to many!

http://www.matadorcoupe.com/1974.htm

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I especially like the "restomod" about three down. Just that perfect mix of '70s AMC butt ugly and rice (with the four tail pipes and big wing). But, then again, I guess it takes all types. After all, parking next to one of these definitely makes a Mustang look really good . . .

Carl

G

·
0 Posts
When I was in high school my friend's parents bought one of these things used as a second car for the kids to learn to drive in/use.

The first day we saw it we were shocked at how ugly it was and it soon became a big joke so the car was beat on like the redheaded stepchild that it was.

This one was a particularly nasty shade of green with a green vinyl top. They are actually uglier in real life than what the pictures show.

I was surprised that it came up in the poll so often. I don't think many were made. I never saw one before my friend's parents car and I've never seen one again. The Gremlins and Pacers were easy to find though. They're ugly too but the Matador takes the cake for me. I wonder what AMC was thinking when it put out all of those ugly models?

G

·
0 Posts
I do remember those cars. Scary looking thing, like an overgrown Pinto. This came at a time when AMC designers were really out of touch with Americans. At the same time, the Japanese had hired the young hotshot American designers to craft the lines of the Celica, Datsun 240/ 260/ 280 Z car, and others. Those guys had their finger on the pulse of young American car buyers in the mid 70's.

G

·
0 Posts
http://www.matadorcoupe.com/images/Marshall1.jpg HAHAHAHAHAHAHA who would want one of these, the owners should be steralised so as not to pass those matador genes on.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
AMC truely had an amazing design team to not only have one of the ugliest cars to there credit but they practically have the market corned!

The matador is truely ugly but you could get it with a 390. I might even put if over the gremlin and the pacer because they almost make it to pug ugly status of where there so ugly there cute. But what about the often forgotten AMC hornet wagon.

The cruelest part of the AMC's were there ability to continue to run good even when the doors were literally falling off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts