Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just came across a really good 1978 Granada with a 302. Are all the parts basically bolt-on from this to a 1965 Mustang? My research is leaning yes, but I'm having a hard time finding specifics. Trying to figure out what I would need to buy on my own. At this point I think it might be drive shaft and steering linkage, and that's it?

I have a 1965 coupe t-code 6 cylinder. Looking to V8 swap.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
If the car is complete,, then yes it is a good donor. People will probably blast me, but the front spindles will work for you currently have a 6 cyl. Yes the geometry is slightly different, yet people did the "Granada" swap for years. The engine/transmission will bolt in and as a benefit, they now make V8 Radiators with the outlets in the correct location for the use of a later engine. In 1970, Ford started having the water pump discharge on the drivers side instead of the passenger side. The only issue you may have is the rear end, it should bolt in but will be 1" too wide on each side. You could run it temporarily until you find a correct one.

·
Registered
10,061 Posts
While that engine is a 302, you likely won't notice any boost in power from your I-6. By 1978, Ford had strangled the 302 to the point of being downright anemic. Now, you can easily remedy this situation, but it does take some parts and effort:

- Heads: Those heads have large combustion chambers to create low compression and thermactor ports. Pretty much any other 302 heads would be an improvement

- Cam: It's the proverbial broomstick with retarded valve timing to boot. Throw it away. Pretty much any other cam will be an improvement.

- Distributor: I'm not positive, but Ford had some distributors which were "locked out". That is, you couldn't adjust the ignition timing. Likely, a 1978 distributor does not fall into that category. It should have the Ford Duraspark ignition which is a very good system. Keep that.

- Intake manifold. It's a 2V with EGR. Throw it away. Pretty much any other manifold will be an improvement.

- Carburetor: While the Autolite 2100 is typically a good carb, by 1978 they were getting crummy. I expect you'll be bolting on a 4 barrel intake and aftermarket carb, but if by chance you want to stay 2V, don't use that factory carb.

The good news is the short block should be fine after a rebuild.

Just to be sure, you are aware you must replace the front and rear springs and front and rear brakes, correct? Almost everything must be upgraded to do a proper and safe V8 swap.

Have fun!

·
Registered
243 Posts
I think the 9" rear axle will bolt up too. A search on this forum would probably confirm it.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Heck, drive the Granada. It's be damn cool to have one of those.

Reactions: gt350sr and 2nd 66

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unless it was one of the extremely rare Granadas with rear disc brakes it is an 8" rear end.

Only if it's the 2 door Ghia model.
Is the 8" rear end the same width as the 1965 Mustang? I'm guessing no, and it's bigger like the Granada 9".
I'm fine with an 8" as long as it fits. I'm not building a deaf monster or anything.

·
Registered
20,920 Posts
Is the 8" rear end the same width as the 1965 Mustang? I'm guessing no, and it's bigger like the Granada 9".
I'm fine with an 8" as long as it fits. I'm not building a deaf monster or anything.
The Granada 8" is slightly narrower then the Mustang. Something like 1", no big deal. The spring perches are in the same locations. The Granada axle tubes don't neck down which compared the the Mustang axle on the same car with the same springs will lower the rear slightly.

The front disc brakes as mentioned have slightly different geometry, not a big deal. It's the same as the 67-73 Mustang spindle geometry. These brakes have been used on Mustangs since the first Granada ended up in the junk yard. Go for it.

The 302 may be a little anemic. They will have 69cc combustion chambers to put compression on the dumpster. Ford also played with the block deck height. Normally it's 8.200" but around 73 increased it to .8228" to lower compression but they used different heads with smaller chambers, I think 58cc. I'm thinking with the later 69cc head they went back to the 8.200" deck. Ford had a lot of vacuum advance on these motors to make them run better with the EGR. My dad had a 77 with a 302. I tried once to disconnect the EGR. It pinged uncontrollable. I had to reconnect it. So just be aware. You'll have to either try adjusting the vacuum advance rate or buy a new vacuum canister for a 66 289. These engines running on unleaded gas had less cylinder wall wear. Who knows, maybe the engine is in good shape. If so if it were me, I'd just stick it in as is for now.

All in all a good parts car for your Mustang.

·
Super Moderator
9,728 Posts
I just came across a really good 1978 Granada with a 302. Are all the parts basically bolt-on from this to a 1965 Mustang? My research is leaning yes, but I'm having a hard time finding specifics. Trying to figure out what I would need to buy on my own. At this point I think it might be drive shaft and steering linkage, and that's it?

I have a 1965 coupe t-code 6 cylinder. Looking to V8 swap.
There’s a lot more involved in the swap than just the items you mention above.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There’s a lot more involved in the swap than just the items you mention above.
I'm trying to find the cheapest donor car I can for the swap that will be "bolt-on". I can obviously buy the parts new and in pieces, or fabricate, but I'm trying to start look for the path of least resistance first. Basically just pricing out parts and effort for the different paths right now.

·
Registered
231 Posts
The Granada Spindles will cause you a little grief in a 65-66, search the internet. There are probably better solutions. The motor as said will be an anemic 302. Either a tall deck block with the small heads or when they swapped back, the big cc heads. If it's a tall deck block, you can't bolt on aftermarket heads easily as the compression will be way down. My Small Block Tom Monroe book (everyone should have a copy, How to rebuild your small block Ford) lists a that in '77 they increased the combustion chamber to 69cc average, and in '78 1/2 went to pedestal rocker arms instead of rail rockers. The book lists that it was the 73-76 302 that had the 8.229 deck height instead of 8.206. Believe it or not, this makes a difference. I would much rather have a 8.206 deck height block, which the 78 should have. Now you can machine it when you rebuild the motor, but you better know someone who really knows what they are doing and understands. I've seen too many shoddy engine builders these days. That's why crate motors are so popular. Used to be, every town of a decent size had small machine shop that did all these things. Thing of the past.

Now, what's to say that Granada has the original 78 engine. Lord knows what it has after all these years. My '67 Mustang had probably the original 289 heads on a '68 302 block with a '63-64 2V intake when I got it in the 80's.

Jason

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I would not worry about 302 being weak if you just want to convert yours to a V8... a mild camshaft upgrade, performance curve in the distributor, dual exhaust and 4 barrel would be a lot of fun and run all day on 87 octane... you can always build an engine, get the car ready and running with a V8 first...

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
If it's good price, buy it. While not ideal, it will get you the v8 components needed. It doesn't sound like you're looking to set any racing records, so the 302, while not a power house, will motivate it down the road, until you can find/build a better solution, then you have all the v8 components for the swap. The spindles, again, while not ideal, they will certainly give you v8 spindles, you wont notice a little bump steer on most day to day driving, tons have been installed on mustangs. The rear would be a decent one to get it rolling as well.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
The good news is that with a complete car you get everything. 65/66 Mustang rear end is 57.25", The Granada is 58".

You are also getting 5, 5-lug wheels. That keeps you from having to buy wheels right now.

On the engine, there are a couple choices. You can drop it in "as is" if it runs ok, or you can put it on a stand and strip it down. Put on a 66 waterpump, new timing chain, 65 fuel pump with filter, new oil pump and pickup. Clean it and spray it black. You can probably find a used 4v manifold and a carb, 500 cfm is best, 600 cfm if thats all you can find used. You will need a new gas pedal and linkage. Use a 67 pedal, it has the C4 cable kickdown. The pedal, cable kickdown, linkage and engine mounts are all sold at CJP or NPD.

Im guessing you will spend $600-1200 doing the swap, if you can find used parts, and depending on how far into the weeds you want to go.

The Granada probably has AC and smog. Stripe that all off and go with the minimum.

If it were me, I would do everything else first and do the engine last. Get the rear end, front suspension, steering and brakes sorted. I wouldnt use the Granada spindles on a 65, but you can sell them and look for a set of 65-69 Mustang V8 drum spindles. They are all the same spindle and is what would have come on your car if it were a V8.

Your driveshaft may need to be shortened. If it does, use the Granada driveshaft, it will have the correct u-joints for the rear end, one less thing to worry about.

Start looking for parts now, many of them can be found used and at much less cost than new.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If it's good price, buy it. While not ideal, it will get you the v8 components needed. It doesn't sound like you're looking to set any racing records, so the 302, while not a power house, will motivate it down the road, until you can find/build a better solution, then you have all the v8 components for the swap. The spindles, again, while not ideal, they will certainly give you v8 spindles, you wont notice a little bump steer on most day to day driving, tons have been installed on mustangs. The rear would be a decent one to get it rolling as well.
It's a 77 Granada with 24k miles at $2.5k. I'm just looking to get the V8 conversion parts in one shot. Really, I wanted to know if the steering, suspension, and drivetrain would give me what I need for the swap.

Building a performance engine is easy for me, and replacing spindles it a piece of cake. Getting everything else together in pieces is the hard part I am trying to avoid.

·
Registered
10,817 Posts
It's a 77 Granada with 24k miles at $2.5k. I'm just looking to get the V8 conversion parts in one shot. Really, I wanted to know if the steering, suspension, and drivetrain would give me what I need for the swap.

Building a performance engine is easy for me, and replacing spindles it a piece of cake. Getting everything else together in pieces is the hard part I am trying to avoid.
to much for a parts donor with semi ideal parts . nice for a driver though.
get your self a GT40P from an Explorer 500 bucks
spindles and rear axle from Ebay Craigslist FBmarketplace ect

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts

ouch, 2500? Nope, I'd be out. I was thinking less than 1k. Steering? don't think so, you'll want to buy new steering components. Suspension? While the spindles would be a decent alternative to what you have, I am not sure I would put in used uppers and lowers even if they bolt in (not sure if they do never heard of anyone using anything but the spindles) No idea about the rear suspension other than the rear axle. So that leaves the trans.... yes it will bolt in.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ouch, 2500? Nope, I'd be out. I was thinking less than 1k. Steering? don't think so, you'll want to buy new steering components. Suspension? While the spindles would be a decent alternative to what you have, I am not sure I would put in used uppers and lowers even if they bolt in (not sure if they do never heard of anyone using anything but the spindles) No idea about the rear suspension other than the rear axle. So that leaves the trans.... yes it will bolt in.
Well that settles that. So is there anything short of another 65-66 V8 Mustang that will give me all the parts I need for the swap?

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
The Granada Spindles will cause you a little grief in a 65-66, search the internet...
I have been running Granada discs for 20+ years. For a spirited street car it drives, handles and brakes very well. Is it optimal? No, but it is perfectly functional. Has it caused me any grief? No, none, zero.

The only grief it could have caused is if I wanted to run original styled steel wheels. The bearing race housing of the Granada rotor is too big to fit in those wheels without being turned down.

I just saw the cost at $2,500. No way.

Reactions: 2nd 66
1 - 20 of 24 Posts