Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is the best place to find donor cars? I've searched craigslist within a 1000 mile radius of me and I can not find a 89-93 5.0 donor car anywhere. Are these things dinosaurs now or what? Do junk yards sell you the entire car if you want it? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,630 Posts
I haunt a couple of yards around here and haven't seen a Fox come into one of them in a couple of years now that you mention it. Even the SN95's are drying up.
What is it you're after? A Fox can only donate the engine, transmission, and seats.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,277 Posts
Craigslist is a dying platform. Take a look on facebook marketplace. Fox bodies seem to fall into two categories now, beat to **** just shy of the scrap yard or pristine low mileage cars that are gaining in value quickly.

Reactions: desertdave

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haunt a couple of yards around here and haven't seen a Fox come into one of them in a couple of years now that you mention it. Even the SN95's are drying up.
What is it you're after? A Fox can only donate the engine, transmission, and seats.
I am wanting to swap all the goodies into my 70 coupe. So i need the engine, trans, computer and maybe the seats if the fit ok.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
You might also try car-part.com. It's a great site to find used parts at yards all over the country.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Craigslist is a dying platform. Take a look on facebook marketplace. Fox bodies seem to fall into two categories now, beat to **** just shy of the scrap yard or pristine low mileage cars that are gaining in value quickly.
Good call on the Facebook Marketplace. I found 2 candidates, but unfortunately they where stick and not automatics. But I will keep them as possibilities for now.

·
Just some guy
20,630 Posts
If all you want is a 5.0 and an automatic why not widen your scope? Like above, most Fox Mustangs are either about destroyed are are being restored. I'm working on an '86 myself. A AOD or AODE can come from anything with a 5.0 that's 2wd. There are roller cam and non-roller cam 5.0's but if you don't sweat that too much you can use one out of a Crown Victoria, Lincoln, Thunderbird, even a truck. I like 5.8's more than 5.0's. The 5.8 (351W) in my '67 is from a 1978 LTD police car. The 5.8 going into my '69 is out of a 1995 F250 work truck.
If you look at a 1990 5.0 Mustang engine's heads you will see the casting number "E7TE". That "T" stands for truck. Some other parts are marked "A" for LTD. So not only are these parts very interchangeable, a lot of them weren't even Mustang specific straight out of the factory.

But if you find something interesting, ask here first. You can use a truck 5.0 but not the EFI intake, it's too tall. Stuff like that the folks here know about. A Mustang intake to swap onto such an engine is a LOT easier to find than a Mustang engine though. I'm sure folks will be happy to advise on different donors.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If all you want is a 5.0 and an automatic why not widen your scope? The 5.8 going into my '69 is out of a 1995 F250 work truck.
Did you keep the fuel injection? If so did you use the computer out of the F250 as well?

·
Just some guy
20,630 Posts
No. For fun and the heck of it I'm going with a variable venturi 2BBL carb on the newer 5.8. I also happen to have the correct vintage engine for the car that needs rebuilt so the newer one is to play with.
Truck injection, particularly a 5.8, won't fit under a Mustang hood. But if you get your hands on a truck or van 5.0, it's easy enough to swap a "car" intake onto it. They aren't hard to find or expensive. Lots of folks have tossed them for aftermarket version. For fuel injection a "Mustang" computer is preferable. Whatever combination you can think of someone either has it or has tried it. A lot of such people are on here.

Reactions: desertdave

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I just sent you a PM about a donor but just realized you are looking for an auto, not a T5. You can ignore it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts