Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m an old car guy starting to play with my dream car. I’ve read everything I can find about T5 swaps. Lots of contradictory information out there. It’s already a stick with a 4spd SROD trans. Which is the worst transmission I’ve ever had. Really weird ratios.
Anyway I have a chance to buy a ‘95 T5. I know all about the different length issue. As a long armed tall guy having the shift lever back 5/8” is a good thing.
But here’s my question. It concerns speedometer hookup. This is where I’ve found some conflicting information. From what I’ve determined this trans used an electronic speedometer. But it used the same drive gear as earlier models. If that’s correct then it should be able to drive a mechanical cable with the same connector as a Fox body trans.
Can anyone verify that is correct.
Thanks for your help in advance.

·
Premium Member
11,772 Posts
I thought the electronic speedometers were driven by the VSS in the rear end and there was not even a hole in the transmission tailshaft housing for a sensor or cable.

·
Registered
876 Posts
1998 was the last year the T5 tail housing had the hole for the speedo. It did use VSS but it was still driven from the drive gear on the T5. The converter can be removed and then you can use your mechanical cable and driven gear. Note: You may want to change out the Drive gear so your Driven gear doesn't need as many teeth.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts