Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just a quick ?. I came across and 96' 351w long block for 100$. not sure what its out of or the miles. but I'm thinking rebuild and putting it in my 68 coupe.
now my coupe is in storage so I can't get to it. but if my memory is correct I think the water outlet is on the wrong side? can this be changed? if I'm right? am I right?
Is there anything else I need to look at that may give me issues if I decide to go this way?
I would be running a carb and and backing it with a c-4 for now.

·
Registered
38,169 Posts
I think it would be close to that of the 5.0 in my F150 which has the outlet on the passenger size and the inlet on the driver side. I'm not sure either whether there is a provision to attach a fuel pump eccentric either.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Grab it, at $100 you can't go wrong. The good part is any 351W block will accept any year 351W external bolt ons including 289/302/5.0 timing covers and front dress. The 351W is an easy swap for a small block and in fact is the upgrade path I'm taking with my own car. The really good part is a '96 block is roller cam capable as well as having the high nickle iron for better cylinder wear. The easy way to solve the water pump issue is use a timing cover for standard rotation water pumps then a pump correct for a '68 302 will work fine and you can keep the '68 v-belt pullies. The only down side is basically everything bolted to a '96 short block is worthless to you, oil pan, accessory brackets, timing cover, distributor, intake, all are not going fit in your Mustang but as I said at $100 you can toss everything except the block and still have a good deal.

FWIW; I believe the only production application for a 351W in '96 was the F150 and F250 pickups.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
FYI-the '94-'95 Cobra motors were 5.0 with roller cam, basically a normal 5.0 motor but with a different roller cam and GT40 iron heads. That's what you get at Auto Zone if you asked for a '94 Cobra. The '95 Cobra R had a 351W but that used a flat tappet cam and I doubt Auto Zone has any of them anyway. If they did they certainly wouldn't be $1300.

·
Registered
663 Posts
ditto on the 5.0 for the cobra. That;s actually not a very bad deal once you consider the price of a pair of GT40s and rebuild pieces (pistons, rods, crank, bearings, etc.) plus the machining and labor to do it if you don't do it yourself. But having worked at Autozone I'm sure there is a core charge and you would have to come up with a core which I'm sure could be picked up cheap if they don't demand that the core be an actual GT40 headed motor.

As far as the 351W swap it would be easy as pie. Like someone said earlier, get the correct timing cover, water pump, oil pan, headers/manifolds, and distributor which all can be found very cheap.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys! I was thinkinging that wouldn't be to tough. but i just wanter to make sure. if my old timeing cover and other goodies will fit off my 289, this will be very simple! i do believe i will have to mod my hood some as that 351 is taller and i'm already rubb-n the air-cleaner on the hood.
so, does anyone have a 351 RPM intake to sell??? :)

·
Registered
398 Posts
regarding the mechanical fuel pump provision mentioned above, that's really a function of the timing cover, not the block. You just have to add the eccentric to your cam as it would not have come with one in 96.
You can get a water pump with outlets on either side.
When i put my 95 351 in, I also wanted to get more effective use of the radiator so I went with a drivers side pump inlet and got a new radiator to match. That way you get more of a cross-flow thing happening.

·
Registered
269 Posts
nope, they list the cobra r 351w along with the standard cobra 302

they vary in price 1400-1900 but for a budget build and 3 year nation wide warranty it is not bad!

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
You're right, the price they list for a budget built 351W isn't too bad. They must be using a '95-newer block also since the ad states "with roller lifters", however that just proves my point that they aren't true Cobra R motors. The actual R motors had flat tappet cams. I believe they also had forged pistons, but I'm not 100% certain on that. I'm pretty sure the Auto Zone "Cobra" 351 is nothing more than a mass rebuilders long block based on a common truck 351W engine, but with a specific compression ratio and pistons, maybe even GT40 heads since they were actual production castings for a few years. I'm also sure someone well versed in the specifics of the '95 R model can quote a lengthy list of all the parts that make that specific version of the 351 unique, and you'll not likely find any of them on an Auto Zone rebuild no matter what model they label it as. Either way, it'd be a decent starting point for a low buck build up since any 351W will bolt in place of any other 351W, and since they state it's a replacement for the Cobra it might have some beefed up parts in it even if the numbers don't match a real Cobra R's parts list.

·
Registered
398 Posts
and if the AZ 351's really are roller blocks, you'll save yourself the hassle I had of trying to find one. They are hard to come by.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts