Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've stored my car every winter. And for some reason today I went to turn on my baby and let it run a bit. It ran for about 8 minutes or so, and all of a sudden it started to chocke. And just died on me. At first I thought I ran out of gas or something, since it was showing empty. So I went to get some gas. And that wasnt it either. What do you guys think it is?? Iam thinking now that its the fuel pump or something like that related??? It was weird since it was working perfectly fine with no problems for those 8 precious minutes.. :(

looking forward to your replies...

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
I always use fuel stabilizer when I store my cars to keep the gas from congealling. I also fill the tank to the brim to keep water from condensing in the tank. How old is the gas in your car?

Can you hear the fuel pump? Normally those things squeal when they go.

Paul
1965 Mustang 2+2
1989 Mustang GT Convertible
MCA #27261
MCA certified judge for 65's and late models

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Start checking the different things that make engines go boom. You need fuel, so you could either pump the gas pedal and look for a wet venturi, or you could disconnect the fuel line and watch the fuel pump out of the line onto a rag (while engine is cool).

You need spark. Pull a plug wire and lay it very close to a grounded source. You should see an arc when you crank the engine.

If you have fuel and fire, and it still won't run, there's a possibility that you have internal damage.

But if you ran out of gas, it might take a little cranking to get it going again.

Good luck.

/forums/images/icons/blush.gifClick here to see free live bare topless Coppertonecam images./forums/images/icons/blush.gif

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Check your fuel filter. If it's not clogged then check the filter/screen right at your carb. Mine clogged at the carb after running bad gas through it. Just a thought. If you think its your fuel pump, pull the gas line off at the carb, put the line in a glass jar and have someone turn the engine over once. If gas starts coming out the pump, it works. Be careful, the gas will come out fast.

Hope this helps.

67 coupe under restoration

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Perhaps the fuel injectors are clogged. Shouldn't happen with a five year old car. Why, exactly do you store it over the winter?

Dan
Be a good dad to your kids and phone your mom twice a week...
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1589115&a=12097562&p=43884454.jpg

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
It's pretty easy to determine if the problem is a lack of fuel. Just pull the air cleaner off and pump the throttle a few times, while looking into the carb. If you don't see gas being shot into the throat of the carb, it is a fuel delivery problem. Just work backwards from there. It could be anything from a failed pump to a gummed up fuel filter. As Paul suggested, stabilizer is a good idea, although since the car ran for a while, I doubt that your carb is gummed up.

Glenn Morgan 66 GT Fastback 351w+toploader

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Did you say this is a NINETY-SIX Mustang? Jeez. Forget my comments about 'looking down the carb throat'. You'll be looking for a while if you're looking for the carburetor on a 96.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Yeah. It looks like CalPoppyCoupe is the only one of us taking the time to ACTUALLY READ the poor guy's post title. That's what I get for trying to sneak in a little VMF time while I'm at work *LOL*!

Why is he storing a 5 year old car, anyway?

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
Is this 'old fart' syndrome you 2 guys have? :)

Of course he would store a 96...to keep it off the salted roads. My 89 has never seen the salt. I store it every winter.

I wondered about the gas congealing because the new cars especially are sensitive to plugging up and have more places to plug up.

Paul
1965 Mustang 2+2
1989 Mustang GT Convertible
MCA #27261
MCA certified judge for 65's and late models

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
OFS. I think mine is terminal, too.

Only a guy from the real RUST BELT would consider storing a late-model car, though. Even my wife's Camaro gets exercised on sunny days when the roads are dry. Salt you say? We don't need no stinking salt! We just slip and slide (but our cars are still around at 30, 40, and even 50 years) *LOL*

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Us "old farts" need transportation during the winter (actually, in California, we don't do much storing of anything, we leave patio furniture, bar-b-ques, etc. out all winter). We don't walk as fast as you youngbloods (seen a 16-year old walk across the street in front of your car recently? I could CRAWL faster than young kids can walk today, even if I do "fart"). If I was to buy a car newer than my '87 Nissan pickup, I would drive Sam Hell out of it! *LOL*

Dan
Be a good dad to your kids and phone your mom twice a week...
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1589115&a=12097562&p=43884454.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its actually a 1996.. I know Iam in a total wrong forum, but you guys seem to know your stuff.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ahh to answer that famous question why am I storing a 5 year old car. Well Iam from Canada, and well our winters are not fun. Especially when a car is a rear wheel drive. Also its not like the car was on a lease, I actually own this one, so I rather have it in the garage during winter time then rust it up or for sure crash it up in winter.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
damn I had an 89 why did I sell it:) Never had problems with it, and yeah of course stored that baby up too. Damn Canadian winters I tell you.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
He he he. Did you notice that the guy for whom this all made sense was a fellow maple-leafer? We banana-belters can only imagine having to store a 'new' car for the winter. I live at 8200 feet up in the Rockies - but we don't use salt here, we just 'pays our money and takes our chances' with the ice and snow. There are actually a fair number of days when I can even drive my old cars in Jan-Feb, so it's tough for me to relate.
I'm glad you got the answer you needed.

·
Moderatly Old Fart
4,428 Posts
Either fuel or spark. Check spark by putting an old plug on a plug wire and have a friend see if it sparks.

Fuel could be a lot of things. You aren't holding down the pedal are you? No fuel is injected in the start cycle if you do that. Check the shock sensor. It kills the pump in an accident or if you flip your car. The reset should be in the trunk somewhere. Crook mechanics may just reset it and charge you for a fuel pump. There is a shrader valve on the fuel rail. Touch it for a second. If fuel squirts out you are probably OK. Carefull. It S/B about 35 PSI or more.

Those are the simple things.

If you have a code scanner pull the codes. The computer hardly ever lies.

Good luck

Gene J

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1584519&a=12058180&p=43615717.jpg
66 Coupe/66 Convert/84 GT Turbo/96 coupe

Gene's cars

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would haVe never thought I was going to get this many responses. Thank you again, for all your input. I will keep you posted which idea worked. Today is the day, Iam hoping to get things done.

thanks again,
Bojan.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
GOT my baby to start!!!

Well it was a very good day. I've tried starting my car by pumping the gas pedal a few times, and then started the ignition and kept pumping it but it chocked the first time, I almost go it so I've tried the second time, and I got it running, and it didnt chocke after that. Has been working since. And there is no more problems starting the car, it starts just like the day I bought it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts