Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I should do a search but I have very little time on this car. I can get a crashed mark 8 it has good motor and tran rearend and front end, I have a 1966 coupe that needs restoring and am wondering if I can upgrade to any of these parts for my mustang, with little difficulty if that is possible,,seems I read in the forums about the mark 8 rearend for a upgrade. the car has right at 100k though, not too concerned about the engine and tran as I dont think I would put them in the coupe, I dont know though, What kinda thought do you guys have on this? thanks for your time

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I have spent some time trying to find info on the rear end conversion to disc brake and have found nothing using the mark 8 parts, I think I can pick the whole car up for 300 bucks but if none of the parts will work for me I may pass on it, the car was crunched between cars and is smashed pretty good, but the engine and transmission are ok and the axles seem to be in good shape, to do a engine swap from my 289 to the 4.6 I would think would be a long very custom process so I think more what I am wondering is if I can snag the brakes off this car and make them work on my 66

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,853 Posts
No. The only thing useful/interesting about Mark VIII's is that their engines are darn near duplicates of similar year Mustang Cobras. There are differences but one can be turned into a reasonable Cobra "clone" engine. You're quite correct in that adapting such to an old Mustang is a BIG undertaking.
Mark VII rear disk brakes are readily adaptable by using brackets purchased from "Ultrastang", but not the Mark VIII's.

·
Registered
21,141 Posts
It would be interesting to see just how close the two platforms are. Imangine if both were close enough that you could cut the Mustang body off it's floor pan and weld it on the Mark VIII's?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Mark VIII's have an IRS system in the back and the 4.6 DOHC 32-Valve motor is bigger than a 429.

I'm thinking the only think that will swap without a big hassle is the valve stem caps off the tires (LOL).

I owned a 95 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC and they are great cars. I use to take mine to the drag strip (14.6's at 98+)and even had Cobra R rims but I can't image anything bolting onto a classic Mustang without major surgery being done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts