Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,420 Posts
You want that “E” decal as close to where your fire extinguisher is as possible. That’s for corner workers and rescue people.

Have fun, stay hydrated, give point byes and HAVE FUN!
You will be assimilated

Mark

·
Registered
1970 Sportroof Mustang Grabber Value Package
339 Posts
That is sweet lookin!

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
You want that “E” decal as close to where your fire extinguisher is as possible. That’s for corner workers and rescue people.

Have fun, stay hydrated, give point byes and HAVE FUN!
You will be assimilated

Mark
Good eye Mark! Do you remember the good old days when a trained and qualified corner worker would actually jump down from their station and help extract a driver or put a fire out? Our usual track day sessions today seem to often have someone's mother, aging father, family friend flagging just so they can get free track days. It's really a very dangerous situation that many don't consider. Time was there was an abundance of very qualified people at every station, today it's often just a single person doing flags.

Volunteers and trained corner works alike are always super appreciated; we don't get to play if they don't come and work, but if you are doing a DE you are likely on your own for the first five minutes after a shunt and maybe a bit more. Even in a Vintage race, unless it's a big event there is likely only one or two SCCA qualified at the station. Not like the seven or eight or more of days gone by.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread. That is an amazingly gorgeous car; I remember when my paint looked good,
RRR_Jack_Porsche.JPG
now it's sandblasted and nicked and chipped and dented and.... well it's a race car.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Volunteers and trained corner works alike are always super appreciated; we don't get to play if they don't come and work, but if you are doing a DE you are likely on your own for the first five minutes after a shunt and maybe a bit more. Even in a Vintage race, unless it's a big event there is likely only one or two SCCA qualified at the station. Not like the seven or eight or more of days gone by.
Back about 30-40 years ago someone on the Kentucky Derby Festival committee came up with the idea to hold a go cart race in down town Louisville a few days before the Derby. I was one of the safety workers. The committee and certainly the pedestrians had no idea what these little pocket rockets were capable of. 12 year old kids with dual B&S engines were getting airborne over over manhole covers and intersections, never letting up. And I would be frantically waving my flag trying to stop people stepping over the ropes to cross the street. Finally one played his game of chicken too close and go cart swerved to miss him and wiped out a hot dog cart. Luckily the worst injuries were the driver and several bystanders getting scalded by hot water from the cart. Last officially sanctioned motorized race they ever had on city streets.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts