Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two 1bbl carbs for my '66 inline6, both of which I procured back in the days when I was not keeping track of what I was doing (as if I am on top of everything, now). The one I rebuilt this weekend has a dashpot for AT, opposite the accelerator pump and no bowl vent rod across the top (the bowl vent outlet is plugged with a tin cap. The other has a bowl vent rod connected to the accelerator but no dashpot for an AT (which I do not need, I have 3spd manual). Is anybody up on these 1V carbs who is willing to have his/her brain picked? I am striking out on timing and idle speed (575 - 600 rpm per shop manual specs and this puppy DIES - have to stay @ 800 w/ignition advanced 10 to 12 degrees vs. 6). Any info would be appreciated...

Dan

Dan
Be a good dad to your kids and phone your mom twice a week...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's a couple things I've run across. One time I had the wrong PCV valve. If your car is equiped with one remove it and plug the hose. Then try adjusting idle mixture and seeing if it runs better. After market PVC valves did not work, I went to Ford to get the proper one. Another time I saw this problem, it was the idle mixture which was incorrectly adjusted. You can used a tachometer to adjust this setting or just by ear. Also if you haven't dismantled the carb and cleaned it that may be all that is required. Don't forget to check your vacuum to see that it's OK. It could be many things, low compression, leaky valves, vacuum leak...

Adrien.

65 GT Coupe all dismantled waiting for resto.
67 Restomod Coupe all sheet metal done, next is assy.
69 Mach 1, SWMBO say don't you dare take it apart!
91 5.0 LX HB, daily driver.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like somebody just switched the carb tops. The manual tranny versions without anti-stalls don't have the bowl vent rod. Just switch them back around...

John

[color:blue]'68 Coupe
250/C4, 221 Argentine Head</font color=blue>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts