Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I did the one wire 100 AMP alternator conversion which was successful (charging properly), but now my guages don't work (fuel, temp, and oil) and my AMP guage shows negative. The 100 amp alternator is a Jegs Ford model #555-10127 Link

Any suggestions? Besides the "1 wire" (charge terminal) on the back, there are no other posts. Anyone else install one of these "simple" alternators and run into this?

As always, thanks for your help.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks jonpro. I reviewed quite a bit of spec sheets on different manufacturers but did not see the ALT guage fix. I guess the fix is to ignore it, disconnect it, or use an aftermarket guage.

With respect to the other guages, they came back to life for a short time but were elevated in their readings, then were inoperative again. I'll double check the fuse panel and also the voltage regulator on the instrument panel if necessary. Is this sometimes common when installing a 1 wire?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Turns out that the instrument voltage regulator got blown out - not the fuse. Any protection methods to avoid this from happening again?

·
Registered
272 Posts
You can run an ammeter with the one wire setup. The guys answered this in a post of mine about a month ago. Just got the 5w 20ohm resistor to put in the fused circuit between the alt feed and the gauge. The resistor should in theory center the gauge needle at 12v

1 - 5 of 5 Posts