Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put a complete 2-1/2 inch exhaust system on a 1967 Mustang? I have attached up my Hooker Super Comp headers to a homemade 2-1/2 inch system with Ultra Flow mufflers that end at dumps before the rear axle. My other half wants the car quieter and I would therefore like to carry the 2-1/2 inch up and over the rear axle.
Qs:
1. Has anyone used a purchased system from one of the Mustang vendors?
2. I have an Addco rear sway-bar that may be in the way. Has anyone run into this problem with the 2-1/2 inch exhaust pipes out to the back?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Don't have a 67, but do have 2.5" up and over the rear 8" axle of my 65. I had it done at a muffler shop so it was custom made from the tri-y's back which is what I would recommend. Make sure they madrel(sp) bend the tubes so there are no restrictions. Expecially with your rear sway bar, I would recommend it be custom made. Mine comes out with turn downs under the rear valance. Still loud but that is because of the Flowmaster 40's not the exhaust.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I have 2 1/2 inch on my '68, but had them custom bent at the muffler shop to make sure everything fit properly. The guy only charged me $75 for both sides, from the mufflers back, and they fit great. I did the X and the straight pieces from the headers to the front of the mufflers.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Flowmaster makes a really nice kit for the 65-73 that's about $300 at www.summitracing.com They also sell just the tailpipes for $100 for the pair.

If you need 2 1/2", you should to buy a kit from Flowmaster, Mac, Magnaflow, etc. The muffler shop bend are horrid compared to a true mandrel bent pipe.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
we had 2.5" all the way on my dads 67 fastback. it just had turbo mufflers with the stock looking tips. pretty quiet, but we had a mild cam so it helped it at WOT.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'm running 2 1/2" Dynomax Turbos with x-pipe all the way out to the rear over the axle with no clearance problems. However, mine was custom made at a muffler shop that knows what they're doing - which I highly recommend over any "out of the box" system.

Been there, done that with those snake oil out of the box exhaust systems... :naive:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts