Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
All I can find is 2" which is good for 289 hp, and 2-1/4" good for 371 hp. 2-1/2" would be good to 463 hp.
I want the transverse because it is quiet, but I don't want to give up the horse power to go with 2-1/4.
Any ideas guys? I don't know of a shop that can construct it.

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
I don’t know if there is enough room for a 2 1/2” transverse muffler. I don’t agree that it would be quieter than other mufflers, it’s just a more compact installations. The reason others are louder is they usually use performance oriented mufflers that are inherently louder designs.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I don’t believe the words “transverse muffler” and performance go together. Especially if talking the stock system with resonators. I don’t know where you got the HP numbers, but I’d be surprised if those apply to a transverse muffler.

I ditched the stock system on my 69 Shelby. 3” system from the headers to the Flotech Warlock mufflers, which include an uncorking feature, 2 1/4” over the axles to the rear collector.

If you need it to sound stock and like the stock system, install it and don’t worry about the HP difference. You can still go fast, just be faster with an improved aftermarket exhaust, or go with a repop Boss system.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I had the 2" system on my 69 with mild 302. I purchased the Waldrons transverse exhaust with the imposter muffler that was supposed to be the loudest. At cruise at highway speeds I couldn't hear the exhaust at all. If you got on it you could hear it, but it was awesome if you're looking for quiet and no drone. It didn't drone at any RPM. I never found a 2.5" kit but I know transams run transverse exhausts a lot of the time due to ground clearance issues with regular mufflers, & they do 2.5" systems so it's possible. Try contacting Precision Exhaust Precision Exhaust | Mustang Torino Cougar Bronco Exhaust I considered them and talked to the owner at one point. They build the systems inhouse like waldrons does, I went with waldrons, I don't remember why, might have been lead time. Anyway, They might be willing to build the system in 2.5" and use an aftermarket transverse muffler for you. I know flowmaster and dynomax make them. My waldrons muffler just dumped both sides into the chamber of the muffler with no pipes connecting the internal inlet and outlets, I'd imagine this wasn't very optimal for flow but it did cancel out the sound waves effectively. Dynomax makes a transverse muffler with basically an internal X-pipe that would be more optimal. Lastly, even the boss 429 came from the factory with 2 1/4" dual exhausts. Unless you're hardcore racing, I wouldn't worry about the HP loss too much if what you're really after is quiet.

Automotive lighting Cylinder Auto part Technology Metal

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,271 Posts
The transverse muffler and single exhaust was the first thing to go at age 16, replaced with 2 and 1/4" duals and Thrush glass packs.
Ahh, the days and nights...

Reactions: 66Stangster

·
Registered
176 Posts
I had the 2" system on my 69 with mild 302. I purchased the Waldrons transverse exhaust with the imposter muffler that was supposed to be the loudest. At cruise at highway speeds I couldn't hear the exhaust at all. If you got on it you could hear it, but it was awesome if you're looking for quiet and no drone. It didn't drone at any RPM. I never found a 2.5" kit but I know transams run transverse exhausts a lot of the time due to ground clearance issues with regular mufflers, & they do 2.5" systems so it's possible. Try contacting Precision Exhaust Precision Exhaust | Mustang Torino Cougar Bronco Exhaust I considered them and talked to the owner at one point. They build the systems inhouse like waldrons does, I went with waldrons, I don't remember why, might have been lead time. Anyway, They might be willing to build the system in 2.5" and use an aftermarket transverse muffler for you. I know flowmaster and dynomax make them. My waldrons muffler just dumped both sides into the chamber of the muffler with no pipes connecting the internal inlet and outlets, I'd imagine this wasn't very optimal for flow but it did cancel out the sound waves effectively. Dynomax makes a transverse muffler with basically an internal X-pipe that would be more optimal. Lastly, even the boss 429 came from the factory with 2 1/4" dual exhausts. Unless you're hardcore racing, I wouldn't worry about the HP loss too much if what you're really after is quiet.

View attachment 818654
Time marches on...didn’t know about the Dyno Max transverse muffler. I’d like to hear that one.

·
Registered
36,978 Posts
All I can find is 2" which is good for 289 hp, and 2-1/4" good for 371 hp. 2-1/2" would be good to 463 hp.
I want the transverse because it is quiet, but I don't want to give up the horse power to go with 2-1/4.
Any ideas guys? I don't know of a shop that can construct it.
The only horsepower you'll be effecting is when you are running the engine above 5000 rpm. In street driving, this better be almost never or you'll be getting a LOT of tickets.

The BOSS 302 had 2.25". The 428 SuperCobraJet had 2.25". The BOSS 429 had 2.25". Are you racing on weekends or do you just go to Dairy Queen really fast? :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts