Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of an aftermarket prebent tailpipes (2.5") for a 70 with dual exhaust (non transverse muffler). I can find them in 2.25 but not 2.5. I am also looking for an H pipe but am sure it will need to be custom bent as I have headers.

·
Registered
9,998 Posts
Flowmaster makes a complete exhaust for 64-73 Mustang. Comes with a 2.5" h-pipe, 2.5" 40 series mufflers, and 2.5" tailpipes as well as all clamps and hangers. I will be ordering it for my latest project when I get to that point. Summit sells the kit for $320. It's part # FLO-17273 at www.summitracing.com

The tailpipes exit in the stock location, so your tips will line up with the cutouts in the rear valance.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I've posted it once,I've posted it a thousand times. Do yourself a huge favor and take the car to a local custom exhaust center and have them do you up right. Go to some local hot rodder cruises and ask them who they recommend. I ripped off every nut and bolt and then put them all back together on my 70 Mach 1, and the worst expierence I had was trying to install a pre made dual exhaust system. It was terrible. Incorrect bends,pipe diameters, you name it. I was using the stock cast exhaust manifolds. I'm having tingling in my spine right now just thinking about you trying to connect a pre made set to hedders. OMG! I had a local shop make and install an aluminized system with Flowmasters for $350. They welded every seam. It would have only been $300 if I had opted not to get flowmasters. They did an excellent job. I asked the younger gear heads with the 5.0's and the 4.6's who did the best exhaust jobs. It worked very well for me.Anyway..thats my two cents worth.

·
Registered
9,998 Posts
They sell the tailpipes seperately, are @ $100 for the pair. I don't think the h-pipe is available seperately, but you could always get the kit, and sell the mufflers off to someone on this board or .

As far as fit, I had a set of their tailpipes on my last 71, and they fit beautifully. The pipes were longer than necessary to allow their use on the Cougar as well, so you will have to trim a couple inches here and there. Flowmaster makes a beautiful kit. All the pipes are mandrel bent, and fully aluminized. You would be hard pressed to get a muffler shop to be able to construct a system this nice for $300. Only advantage that I see to allowing a muffler shop to fab one up, is they do the work, and you get to pilot your TV remote, if that's what you're into. Besides, no muffler shop I've ever seen can ante up the $ to get a true mandrel bender. All you'll get are crunch bent pipes that look like $HIT, and flow worse.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I totally agree with ," bodyputty's' , response. I asked the local street rodders which muffler shop they used. After I installed my headers ( hooker supercomps , long tube ) I drove it 10 miles to the muffer shop uncorked I Luv'ed that ! They did the whole thing from headers back , H-pipe , 2 chamber flowermasters , 2.5 " pipe to the rear for $325. ( 4yrs ago ) Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts