Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
67 Coupes Redo With the tools I got

It was suggested I start a build thread, so here goes..

A few months ago I decided to try my hand at restoring a classic Mustang, after a try with the famous VW Beetle:loco:
After looking on the List, I decided to check out one that had to be misprint ( I think it said 67 Mustang Coupe $300 or $400, turned out after several e-mails it was the $300.
The young fellow had lost interest and was told to get it out of the 2 car garage(full of 1 partially cut apart 67 Mustang and new sheet metal, didn't realize till later the car was a mess; parts that were in good shape cut out with the bad:thumbsdown::skullnbones:)
To be Continued

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A little background before we proceed.
In High school I was more interested in cars and GIRLS:pirate::pirate: before my studies:bs:, and it so to speak cost me- got shipped off to Military School(best thing my folks did for me and I didn't know it at the time)....came home almost didn't graduate but a little summer school I did; joined the USAF after another don't like studying at a University(Party time) :blah::blah::blah::beer:
To make a loonnggg story short, had a 1965 GTO ( brother wrecked while I was In SEA ) so my Dad told me to pick what ever I wanted and I asked for a 67 Mustang Fastback, 4 speed, 289 w/4 barrel Carb, British Racing Green, Styled Steel wheels....
Ford messed up and sent a Ford Racing version of what I asked for;(my girlfriend [now Wife] picked it up before I got back to the States and remembers it took a long time trying not to burn all the rubber off the tires to get it home) I drove it for about a week before I was told I could keep(Fords mistake,wouldn't happen now days) ,but after all the Adults(I was 19??) telling me I couldn't afford the expense(I made $97.00 a month in the service at the time):shocked:gave her up for a stock fastback off the lot..
Now trying to locate what I actually had at the time........
Back to the build stay tuned

More to come

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Build or Dismantle put together????
After attacking all the problems I saw(not knowing anything I was looking at) with the Red Mustang, decided too start somewhere and it was the Dash Panel area.
Not having the $$$ to buy a replacement Dash Panel $300-$400, went on the LIST and found someone cutting up a 67 for parts.
Thank goodness he saw mine was worse off than his,said I should look at what he had...
Hence the #2 Blue Mustang

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The Red Mustang had a V8(to be determined), tranny, rear end,no interior Etc..
Blue Mustang has Interior, in better shape, although no front end. Planning on using that from red one as it isn't in too bad shape.

After removing upper and lower cowl, removed the dash panel to check it out.
WOW all I did was remove some surface rust and put a primer coat on till I need to put back.
As you can see the one(Black) from Red car was pretty rusted out, so I lucked out by getting the Blue donor car which is now the focus of the build.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,853 Posts
Now thats a project, thanks for sharing.

You'll never miss that other board, waaay more traffic, info and friendly banter over here. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks guys, I have gotten more help with questions and probs from this forum(like Isreal stated above), than any of the others.

Israel your thread inspired me to get going again. I sometimes want to haul it all to the crusher and then I think back when I had my first new 67 Fastback.

cobrak, you ain't seen rust wait till I get to the Rocker drivers side.
LOL

·
Super Moderator
8,853 Posts
Israel your thread inspired me to get going again. I sometimes want to haul it all to the crusher and then I think back when I had my first new 67 Fastback.
I agree, the net is awesome, you look at what someone else is able to tackle and it makes yours look easy in comparison, post up a few more shots of yours, every time I look at that hopeless pile of sheet, I feel lucky,... :p Actually two piles of sheet huh?!

Seriously, it's easy to stay motivated when looking at the work of others, seeing how they worked around that "hopeless" issue and how what they did / are doing, is totally workable in your case also,...I guess they call this team support.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The top of the cowl was in good shape so will have to clean up with a little light blasting. the bottom was gone both sides so decided on patches.
When these guys say measure test remeasure test do it as I found out with the bottom of the cowl not knowing exactly where to make my cut for the patch; had no measurement.
Then the patch was not drilled for the wiper bracket, luck was with me as I noticed it before welding.
Still some cleanup and primer yet then to the storage trailer.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,853 Posts
Not much left to that original half cowl

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not much left to that original half cowl
Both cars had bad lower cowl areas, the Blue top was in good shape although if the previous owner of the Red one hadn't have used a jig saw with a wood cutting blade(might have been a chain saw) and blinders on :skullnbones::loco::thumbsdown: it would have been used

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Next comes the part of not knowing what you are doing and feel completely :p:p:confused::shocked: The Rocker and A-Pillar Cluster:shaking:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,853 Posts
I'll be watching to see what you do with the A Pillar, mine needs to be replaced, passenger side.

·
Super Moderator
8,853 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

·
Super Moderator
8,853 Posts
I'm sure he didn't on day one either.

The more I look at your A pillar repair I've got the SAME issue, the pillar seems to have been damaged and the square mounting plate now isn't recessed / flush with the pillar, but just welded on the pillar.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I'm sure he didn't on day one either.

The more I look at your A pillar repair I've got the SAME issue, the pillar seems to have been damaged and the square mounting plate now isn't recessed / flush with the pillar, but just welded on the pillar.
Very True

Here a few pics, the rusted part I cut out and will weld in after I get it better lined up. I'll put more up later....

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here is where I started the A-Pillar replacement.
To get the A-pillar and panel out not knowing any other way I cut the whole assembly in half, just to get old parts out.

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Now after finally getting A-Pillar and panel off, found next problem.
Forgot Problem before that one. The brace (which I thought of by myself:yoho::shocked:I only put 2 in) DUHHHH the weld broke and it fell off..
Rocker had been repaired from previous wreck and was rusted out at bottom under A-Pilar and rear under quarter

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
:pirate::biggrin::burnout:The brain at work I have a decent rocker on the red Car. Lets remove the Blue Rocker and put the Red one back....

Very much later:drunkies: I got the blue off now to tackle the red one, all the time thinking how easy this would be:loco: car is now on 3 jack stands (as there is only 3 corners):shrug:
Wasn't that smart:bs:
Didn't have a picture of that joyous occasion so I blacked out the blue before it was removed

Attachments

1 - 20 of 79 Posts