Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im going from 2:80 to 3:00 posi ,other than traction, what differences will i see, rpms? low end, topend??

·
Registered
400 Posts
Going from a 2.8 to a 3.0 will be a rather subtle difference. But generally, you should get quicker acceleration. Your cruising engine speed will go up proprotional to the increase in final drive ratio. Your speedometer will also be off a bit. The NPD catalog used to have speed calculators to help pick the correct speedo gear. Give it a look.

Hope that helps,
Glenn

·
Registered
637 Posts
Theoretically, you should see better acceleration, but in reality, you won't see much difference at all; 3.00's are still a very shallow gear. Slightly higher rpms at cruising; probably nothing too noticeable. You should find it rather difficult to break traction with 3.00's and a posi if you are running a small engine.

·
Registered
239 Posts
You won't notice much of a difference in accelaration, 2:80 is going to give better fuel economy, slightly.In my opionion i would go to a 3:50 posi rear, that will certainly make youre pony take of faster/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
637 Posts
I'm not sure if they came that way, but I know you can make it that way /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
0 Posts
Currie Enterprises in Tustin, California will have them. Sorry I don't have the phone number for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts