Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from a short 2 day road trip in the Sierras. Did a loop driving East on Hwy 4, overnight stop at Black Bear Inn in Arnold (Great B & B). This morning, short hike in Big Trees State Park then drove the rest of Hwy 4(Ebbetts Pass 8.730 Ft.) to 89 to 395 South then 108(Sonora Pass 9.624 Ft) then back home.
First real outing in the 1965 GTFB since the Doug Thorley headers and the rest of the new exhaust system, Flowmaster HP2 (18") were installed on Monday.
It was also a nice relaxing get-away after another fire evacuation(Kincade fire this time).
Rolling through Lodi on day 1: While at a light a group of cops had a guy on the curb in cuffs, one of the officers yelled across 3 lanes of traffic asking if I wanted to trade for his squad car.
560 miles total.
Best MPG leg was 22.5 at 65-70 mph from Oakdale-with a lot of lights on Hwy 12 through Lodi and Rio Vista area. And that's on good old Commiefornia gas. It should be mandated that Gov. Newsome use Ethanol in his hair products too.
Exhaust note is different then the original stock GT system that just came off but I like it. Smoother more thrushy sound, not so rappy, but still sounds right for the car.

Saw, and parked next to, an awesome 1967-72 F250 Crew Cab in the parking lot at Big Trees SP. Crown Vic front swap, full complete frame off resto-mod. I think, from looking underneath, it had the CV running gear too. Would liked to have met the owner and got the full tour but we left before they got back from their hike.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I'd like to hear a sound clip of your exhaust.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going to work on getting that done and posted.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is some gorgeous mountain country up there! I’ve taken 108 to Mono Lake area the past few years with the family to go camping, stunning scenery and very steep roads. I’ve seen (smelled) many cooked brakes on that route! How did a carbed vehicle fair on that mountain pass?
It's amazing how super nice condition those roads are in. Especially considering how little use some parts must see. The skinny(no yellow line) of the 4 looks like it was all repaved in the last 6 months.
SOOO glad I have a 4 speed to be able to do a lot of 3rd & 2nd gear engine braking and having disc on the front. Would never want to drive that in an automatic.
It was down a little on power form the altitude but ran pretty good. No starting issues, no stalling. Still able to pass an SUV towing a trailer on the 89 no problem on a short chute.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts