Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came up a little short on my search for a set of down pipes for my 70 FB with 302. I'm not interested in H or X pipes,. What am I missing - is the 2" too small, factory manifolds or w/out X/H too limiting? Thanks, Tom

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
At that point the exhaust gases are hotter then later on in the exhaust. With hotter gases or exhaust, you can run a smaller diameter pipe. The as gases get hot, they become less dense put higher pressure.

If you look at high end specific built headers, they'll be what's called "step headers" the first several inches of tubing will be smaller then step up to a bigger diameter. You enemy is going to be compression bends and lousy mufflers.

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
I don't believe Ford actually offered dual exhaust on a non Boss 302 for 69&70. But I believe some muffler chains did. I actually have a Midas Muffler 302 dual exhaust H pipe. It's 2.25". I bought it for a project but never used it. It's brand new, never used. If you're interested in it let me know. Unfortunately with COVID I'm stuck 150 miles away from home. It would be a few weeks I'm going to say. If I find a picture I'll post it

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All, thanks for the prompt responses. I'm just trying to figure out how to buy down pipes for my car - do I need to go up in size, say 2.5" or do I need to have a shop fabricate them? Thanks, Tom

·
Registered
263 Posts
If you have factory manifolds, I think only 2" will connect with the doughnut gaskets. I suppose you could connect with 2" and then step it up to something bigger.

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
All, thanks for the prompt responses. I'm just trying to figure out how to buy down pipes for my car - do I need to go up in size, say 2.5" or do I need to have a shop fabricate them? Thanks, Tom

You can find 2.25" systems for factory manifolds. That'll be plenty. Dual 2.25" is good for 450+ hp. A single 3" exhaust is equal to dual 2.25" exhaust.

·
Registered
37,717 Posts
To my knowledge, Ford didn't change the exhaust manifolds for the 302 from the '65-style until '71, so the "H" pipe is going to be the same one from '65-70. From there, your choice will be whether you have the "log" manifolds installed on all 289 non-HiPo and 302's (except BOSS) or the HiPo style.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts