Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Speed shop building my engine told me to order from Summit a comp cam kit, the cam to be:
around 550 lift
about 242-246 @50 duration on 108 or 106 centers
I already have motorsport 1.7 roller rockers
So the lift will be 600!
I want this car to hit hard and smoke most chevys, and its a 351 stroked to 375 ect... world windsor Sr heads with heavy port and polish. Will have 3:70 or so gears. I just want to be able to drive it on the street to cruse and to the strip on weekends. I dont want to worry every time I take it out.
Let me know what you think!
Thanks Paul

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Thats a pretty stout cam, the narrow lobe centers combined with that much duration will make it idle rough. I'm thinking they picked the narrow centers for peak HP at the drag strip? Since you have big block displacement it would be fairly streetable. I have 106 lobe centers with 228 duration in a 302 and my car idles at 1000rpms.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, on power brakes. Im going to order a vacuum can also.

·
Banned
3,730 Posts
The reason for the lobe centers to be so close is to raise cylinder pressure. The lift & duration are no problem for that engine. The only thought i have is concern for pinging.....But, you should be able to run up to 170 psi and be able control detonation with coventional tuning methods. The idle will have a definite lope but that is caused mostly by the lift, and even that should be tolerable for the street. If it does become a problem, you can always drop to the 1.6's.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Let me know what you think!

In one word, why?

With a balanced combination and a lot less cam, you can run low 12's at 110 mph and smoke most Chevies, Mopars, ricers and anything else on the road.

I run a nice mild A333 SVO cam in a smaller W in the race car and it has run solid 11.40's....

Modern aftermarket heads are designed to deliver better performance at lower valve lifts and durations to provide more longevity, which is an important consideration on the street...

Have you given any thought as to how you'll put all this HP to the ground? If you look at the chassis of my race car, you get a big clue regarding its performance, namely efficient use of torque to promote forward motion.

Unless you're running a stick or a loose converter with those 3.70's, you should be running some L2456's (and racing gas) like I have in the race car, with the domes intact...even with big cubes, low end torque is going to suffer with a low CR and big camshaft.

Hey, you asked! *G*

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
I agree with Pat on this one.

IMHO, for a mostly street motor torque is better. I know most everyone is hung up on the high hp numbers. It's what you need for bench racing with your friends. But to make the hp, you need to twist it to the higher rpms. Higher rpm means more wear and tear. Torque gets you off the line and out of the hole. Even in a 1/8 mile race, with the proper chassis tuning and complimentary components, torque will get the job done.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Guys, What would you suggest cam wise them?

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
I'm partial to the Comp Cams Xtreme series. I'm going to be using the XE274H in my 331 stroker. With a dual plane intake it make lots of torque.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Have you looked at the roller cams? The faster lobe rise and later fall with the same or less duration should help low and mid range breathing. I'm not sure about the high rpm work. I think you would get more usable power.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts