Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would you choose? And. Why?
I am going to build a new garage this year. I am undecided on a 2 or 4 post lift.
I plan on using a lift to store one car above another, and using it for repairs.
So what do you folks think?

·
Registered
967 Posts
I'd think about how you intend on using it most and buy accordingly. If primarily for storage, then I'd get a 4 post as they are just easier for storage than a 2-post, just drive on and drive off. But there is no denying that a 2-post is more versatile for doing a whole host of repairs that are more difficult or impossible with a 4-post.

I was on the fence too, but went with a 4-post because most of the time, it will be used for storage. I did get two rolling jacks for it, so I can get all 4 wheels off the ground at the same time, which makes brake and suspension work easier. The one thing that you get with a 4-post that I did not realize how much I would like is the ability to move it around. So far, I've had my 4-post in 4 different spots in my garage and even put scaffold on top if it and rolled it around the garage when I was installing the ceiling in my garage.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,357 Posts
I very much prefer to work with a two post. But a four post is king for storage as both cars can rest naturally on their suspensions.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
What would you choose? And. Why?
I am going to build a new garage this year. I am undecided on a 2 or 4 post lift.
I plan on using a lift to store one car above another, and using it for repairs.
So what do you folks think?
We went 4 post since storeage was the primary intended use. I feel that 2 post would be better for working on though.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Same as what everyone else says, for storage-4 post, for working on the car-2 post. I bought a 2 post a couple of years ago and love it, don't know how I got by without it. I bought mine here The Car Lift & Automotive Equipment Experts for Over 30 Years they are in Indy, had it delivered to my workplace in Marshall (loading dock) and then put it on my trailer with the forklift. Had my son and his strong buddy help me unload it and installed it by myself. Very easy.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Also, since your garage isn't built yet, if you decide on a 2 post I would plan where it is going and pour thicker concrete in those areas. I have a 12k lift and it only requires 4" (with rebar), but I would over engineer it. My garage had been up for 10 years so I had no choice, but I only lift my Mustangs.

·
Registered
6,043 Posts
2 post = wheels off, lifted by frame
4 post = lifted by wheels, so additional cross member jack is needed to remove wheels

For the most part, doing any kind of brake, suspension, exhaust work on a 4 post hoist 2x as hard, working around the hoist itself..

·
Registered
662 Posts
As others have said. I too have a 4 post mostly for storage, but can do the majority of the work I need to do with it. Yes doing brake and some suspension work you can't do on it but I prefer to do that stuff on the ground anyway.

Attachments

·
Registered
516 Posts
I bought a 4 post direct lift from automotive lift and alignment in Grand Rapids. I bought primarily for storage, but with the included jacking tray and a tripod I have been able to do any of the tasks I needed from dropping fuel tanks, exhaust, brakes, suspension. The only problem I have run into is your circle of friends get bigger when they find out you have one.

Contact

-Rich

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I have a 4 post and really like it. While it's not as good for working on the car as a 2 post...it's still 10x better than doing stuff on the ground. I haven't really had any problems getting to spots on the car to work on...it's just a hassle to get all 4 wheels off the ground at the same time.

I am debating now on whether I should buy a rolling jack (for around $700) or put that money towards a 2 post so I can have both. I have room, but am not thrilled with losing that bit of floor space that the 2 posts would take up.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I have a 4 post and really like it. While it's not as good for working on the car as a 2 post...it's still 10x better than doing stuff on the ground. I haven't really had any problems getting to spots on the car to work on...it's just a hassle to get all 4 wheels off the ground at the same time.

I am debating now on whether I should buy a rolling jack (for around $700) or put that money towards a 2 post so I can have both. I have room, but am not thrilled with losing that bit of floor space that the 2 posts would take up.
:surprise: What kind of floor jack are you looking at?

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will be using it more for storage, but I thought it might make oil changes, and light work easier also.
I do plan on over building the floor.
Thanks, all.
Keep the suggestions coming. I am learning more with each post. LOL.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
I have both.
I like my 4 post better.

Anything I can do on a 2 post I can do on my 4 post because I have a bridge jack.
There are job I can do my 4 post I CAN NOT do on my 2 post....like subframe connectors. With a 4 post you drive on, weld them them in. With a 2 post you lay on the floor, tack them on, and then lift and weld them in.

I also like that I can put my car in the air and work on it using my 4 post without ever having to bend down. With a 2 post you have to get down and position the arms.

With that said.....swapping trans is easier with a 2 post, 4 wheel tire rotations are easier...

So pros and cons.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
:surprise: What kind of floor jack are you looking at?
Not a floor jack it is a special jack that sits between the ramps on a 4 post lift.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
I bought a 4 post direct lift from automotive lift and alignment in Grand Rapids. I bought primarily for storage, but with the included jacking tray and a tripod I have been able to do any of the tasks I needed from dropping fuel tanks, exhaust, brakes, suspension. The only problem I have run into is your circle of friends get bigger when they find out you have one.

Contact

-Rich
The local mustang club has "garage days" at my house at least once a month.....we've put on about 15 sets of subframes, a half dozen axle back and cat back exhaust setups, a few transmission swaps......

·
Registered
1,893 Posts

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Bridge jack I understand, Rolling jack took me by surprise.

Thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I too have a 4post and a bridge jack. Mine is used 350 days a year for storage and 15 for work. That mix makes a 4 post a better choice. The bridge jack makes the 15 days more "user friendly"

1 - 19 of 19 Posts