Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a couple of questions,

I'm thinking of buying a new glass window for my vert, can I switch out the plastic window I currently have just by zipping it out, and zipping the real glass in, or is there a difference in size of the vinyl that is attached to the rear window zip out portion on each?

Also, my vinyl top is currently black. If I was to purchase the Real glass window to match my top now, and if I decide later on to go with a white top that it came with originally, can the black vinyl around the real glass be changed out for white vinyl, to match the new top, or do I have to buy a whole glass window with the correct vinyl color?

G

·
The rear window is stapled across the bottom, inside the body. I can't remember for sure (it's been about 5 years since I installed my top), but I believe the sides of the window are underneath the side of the rest of the top. So it's certaintly not as simple as zipping out the rear window.

I'd also be suprised if you can change the material around the glass. It's probably vulcanized into the material, or sewn to it.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
The glass does not totally zip out from the rear glass top setup. It's stitched at the bottom and will only hinge down when you unzip the top. Atleast that's how my '67 setup is.

·
Banned
4,774 Posts
Your'e looking at a rather major operation to change windows on a somewhat temporary time frame .The bottom of a glass window where it attachs to the body has about 4 or 5 inchs of what ever color top material showing between the glass and the body.

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys!

I guess my best bet is just wait until I'm ready to change out the whole top before I order the glass window.

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,710 Posts
Check with Robbins Auto Top in Oxnard. (they used to be in Santa Monica) They make a folding glass curtain for Mustangs that's more durable than stock.

·
Premium Member
5,559 Posts
I replaced my plastic curtain one time while keeping the existing top. The zipper on the new plastic was different. I had to take the zipper off the old window and sew it on the new. Just one more thing to worry about!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts