Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's looking like I'm going to have some time on my hands so why not install some torque boxes on my 65 hardtop autocross car. The car is original and rust free and from what I have gathered the 2 piece versions are the way to go because you can reverse a flange and save having to cut into your existing floor. Unfortunately I have lost all of those bookmarks in the VMF site sale and am going from memory. I'm coming up with TORQUE BOX, LH, 67-68 MUSTANG COUGAR COUPE / FASTBACK - 3021-516-671L and TORQUE BOX, RH, 67-70 MUSTANG COUGAR COUPE / FASTBACK - 3021-516-671R. It seems Goodmark and Spectra Premium are one and the same? I'm looking to get something shipped quickly and the Goodmark site doesn't seem to be very promising in that regard.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I got the 3654WT and 3655WT for my 66 from CJ Pony. I was overall impressed with them.

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks but no CJ. More often than not when I have dealt with CJ in the past, in stock did not really mean "in stock".

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
6,676 Posts
I bought the 1 piece Spectra boxes and drilled out the spot welds. Wasn't really much extra work since you have to drill holes anyway to plug weld. As far as reverse bending the flange, I'd just cut it off and stitch weld that edge.

·
Registered
916 Posts
You nailed it, the two piece allows you to reverse the flanges and tac it to the inside frame rail and avoid cutting the floor. You will be very happy we with the outcome.

·
Registered
21,330 Posts
Ditto. I bought the Spectra and cut them apart. I wonder if it's really necessary to use the inner part? The inner part is actually the firewall that's there already. You probably could just use the outer portion just welded to the existing part. I decided just to double it up, couldn't hurt.

I'd post my TB thread if I can find it. I used 3M Cavity wax to rust proof the inside when I was done.

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the responses! Looks like I’m going to have to get the 1 piece and drill out the welds if I want to get them quickly.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
4,140 Posts
I went with the one piece and drilled the welds.

·
Registered
21,330 Posts
I took my time fitting each piece to the car. My car was and is pretty solid structurally to begin with. When I was done my car seemed tighter. I don't know if it was or not. I had finished my car just before going up to @2nd 66 On the back roads my car not that it was creaky before was just quiet and solid feeling. One of those things you can't pin point but know something is definitely different.

·
Registered
125 Posts
It's looking like I'm going to have some time on my hands so why not install some torque boxes on my 65 hardtop autocross car. The car is original and rust free and from what I have gathered the 2 piece versions are the way to go because you can reverse a flange and save having to cut into your existing floor. Unfortunately I have lost all of those bookmarks in the VMF site sale and am going from memory. I'm coming up with TORQUE BOX, LH, 67-68 MUSTANG COUGAR COUPE / FASTBACK - 3021-516-671L and TORQUE BOX, RH, 67-70 MUSTANG COUGAR COUPE / FASTBACK - 3021-516-671R. It seems Goodmark and Spectra Premium are one and the same? I'm looking to get something shipped quickly and the Goodmark site doesn't seem to be very promising in that regard.
Looks like both Scott Drake and Goodmark are in stock at Summit. Free shipping if the order is over $99. Torque Boxes at Summit Racing

Reactions: Nailbender

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, looks like you save $20 a side getting the one piece units.

·
Registered
1967 Convertible
676 Posts
I took my time fitting each piece to the car. My car was and is pretty solid structurally to begin with. When I was done my car seemed tighter. I don't know if it was or not. I had finished my car just before going up to @2nd 66 On the back roads my car not that it was creaky before was just quiet and solid feeling. One of those things you can't pin point but know something is definitely different.
I don't know how it wouldn't feel stiffer. Without the torque boxes the front frame has very little connection to the rockers. You're depending solely on the firewall and floor to transmit the load. That's asking a lot. You can see why they added them to the convertibles.

The subframe connectors sound good but they are pretty worthless without the front torque boxes.

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Which seems crazy that pay less to have then welded together.
Not logical to us but what sells the most usually ends up being less expensive.

Anyway, I ordered them from Summit, sadly with other items on the wish list, and they should be here Thursday. I hope not to have time to put them in until next winter!

·
Registered
11,142 Posts
Ditto. I bought the Spectra and cut them apart. I wonder if it's really necessary to use the inner part? The inner part is actually the firewall that's there already. You probably could just use the outer portion just welded to the existing part. I decided just to double it up, couldn't hurt.

I'd post my TB thread if I can find it. I used 3M Cavity wax to rust proof the inside when I was done.
voice of Homer Simpson Mmmmm cavity Wax

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Is this a pull the front fender off thing? This car has never been apart and all the bolts for the bumper and such are still incased in undercoating.

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No. The only thing I unbolted and that was partially was the inner mud flap or what ever you want to call it
Thanks! I was looking at it and it didn't seem necessary. I guess I'll go the extra mile and remove the carpet.;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts