Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at a show this weekend and noticed a 71 spoiler that had a 3-4 in pedestal height while all others I've ever seen were 2-3in. The guy said it even has Ford numbers on it, I was just wondering if it was from a different yr application?

Question B. Can I direct wire a stock tach replacement for the idiot lights without having the mach1 wiring harness? Got the whole dash setup and even instructions for the oit,temp, alt wire conversion but it didn't include wiring bypass instructions for the tach. I don't care about stock wiring just operation.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
You're question concerning the tach is not clear. I assume you want to use a factory tach with your non-tach harness. The answer is yes...you can fab your own tach harness and connect it appropriately and it will work. Should not affect operation of any other guages or lights. Just review your model year wiring diagram (schematic) for proper connections, build your tach harness then connect it according to the schematic. It may be even easier after you review existing wiring you may find the tach circuitry is already there and not connected to anything.

·
Registered
9,974 Posts
You can splice into the existing harness to connect your tach. You have to find a plug that will fit the one on the tach, and splice it into the ignition feed wire.

I hope you have the plug with the tach cluster, as the one for the standard gauges is much larger and will not fit. Email me direct [email protected] and I can help you out. First, get a Haynes V-8 Mustang manual as they have the wiring diagrams in the back....

On the spoiler issue, he may have a pre-71 spoiler mounted on the car...

·
Registered
405 Posts
Look at the part number on the pedestal. That will give you the year. 71 to 73 parts will start with D1 or D2 or D3 if it's the wrong year the part number will start with D0 (1970) or a C which would make it a 60's part.

My 73 came with a D1 (71) part number. The hight is 2.5" hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts